EXEL boat but I have no more knowledge.

capted1957

Cadet
Its about 14' fiberglass. Its old guessing 1975-1978. It has an 85 merc on it.
Im trying to get it back to great shape. Can anyone shed any light on what it is?
I try searching but it changes the name to "EXCEL"
Anyone have any ideas/
TKS
ed

NYBo

Admiral
A boat of that vintage will have a standard HIN with the first characters indicating the manufacturer.

capted1957

Cadet
Im familiar with VIN but is HIN similar. The boat isnt here but will check if there is any info on the boat.
tks

NYBo

Admiral
Similar. If you have the title or registration, the HIN should be on it.

southkogs

Staff member
I'm thinking you're looking at a Canadian boat, and they might have been known as Ex-el. Take a look at THIS. If it's Canadian, it may not have been required to have a HIN (not sure what the rules are way up there).

I did a quick search and found a few runabout boats under that brand. They kinda' look like old Winner boats, but I couldn't find any connection between 'em.

capted1957

Cadet
Yes its probably Canadian as I live in Northern Ontario where the mosquitos are the size of small birds.
I think you are on the right track "Southkogs" that is the way its labelled on the boat "Ex-el"
I could place a picture on here if I could figure it out but you are going in the right direction. Its a low rider and for a small boat its pretty nice looking. It has a flavor of Austin Powers!
I will continue my search.
Thank you all

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
That sure looks like a Glastron GT150erhaps it is a Canadian knock-off or the Canadian version made by Glastron.

capted1957

Cadet
Wow you sure know your boats Frank. It appears to be just that a "1978 Glastron GT150"
Excellent thank you. I have just found my job for the summer. Its to bring this back to great shape.
thanks much
ed

southkogs

Staff member
Do they have a Canadian James Bond to drive it too? :)

Nice lookin' boat.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Well, the paint job is not correct, it does not have the traditional Glastron "swoosh" But everything else sure looks correct. If it is indeed a GT150, then you have one of the few boats that will return in value any money you put into restoration. They are a desirable hull.

I have one sitting in my back yard waiting restoration. It will be my Sunday ride with a 140 although it is rated for 90.

Last edited:

Alumarine

Captain
If it is a 1978 Glastron is should have a HIN that will indicate if it is a Glastron.
There were a lot of fiberglass manufactures in that era that made similar boats.