Best boat money can buy...on a budget

t_south91

Seaman
Hey Guys,

So I just sold my boat and I am looking to upgrade. Keep in mind I am doing a slight upgrade...I wish I was going to purchase a brand new cobalt...one day though!

Here's what I am looking for:
20ft - 21ft
Open Bow
5.7L V8
Has to be $5,500 or less.

Here is what I have been looking at:
Chaparral (specifically 2100 SX)
Sea Ray
Celebrity
Glastron's

I know it will be in the late 80's to early 90's but I want something that will be structurally sound (something with more fiberglass than wood), have enough power to pull me on a slalom and cruise around the lake comfortably.

I am open to all suggestions and feedback you guys have. Am I leaving out any other brands, or good builders from back in the day?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hey Guys,

So I just sold my boat and I am looking to upgrade. Keep in mind I am doing a slight upgrade...I wish I was going to purchase a brand new cobalt...one day though!

Here's what I am looking for:
20ft - 21ft
Open Bow
5.7L V8
Has to be $5,500 or less.

Here is what I have been looking at:
Chaparral (specifically 2100 SX)
Sea Ray
Celebrity
Glastron's

I know it will be in the late 80's to early 90's but I want something that will be structurally sound (something with more fiberglass than wood), have enough power to pull me on a slalom and cruise around the lake comfortably.

I am open to all suggestions and feedback you guys have. Am I leaving out any other brands, or good builders from back in the day?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

[broken record] It's all about condition, condition, condition[/broken record]

Ditto Ditto Ditto

For 5 grand in the size you're looking for, your only choice is older boats. At that price point, brand has nothing to do with it. It's all about how the boat was maintained and taken care of by the seller. A brand new quality, expensive boat can be reduced to junk status in no time if the seller doesn't take care of it, while a cheaper, lesser quality boat can last for many, many decades with the proper care.

It's going to take you a lot of looking and poking to find the right one. Good luck in your search.

tpenfield

Staff member
That budget may not get you the best of anything . . . But if I had to brand shop, I'd be looking at the SeaRay and the Chaparral of those you listed. You may still end up in the cat box.

thumpar

Admiral
When you are talking about Boats and Budget, those terms do not go together.
^^^^^^

When I was looking for a new (to me) boat I started at budget like yours. I was looking for a boat like what your are looking for also. After seeing what was out there the budget started to get bigger. In that price range and specs they seem to be either someone that wants too much over market or it is rotten. Condition and maintenance are the key. They are out there but few and far between.

t_south91

Seaman
You guys are funny haha.

Thanks for help. Found a couple that are mint for their age...but the sellers are asking way to much for them.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I am not being out of the park, I have 3 boats, and every single time I turn around, I am spending, Five, Ten Twenty bucks, I cost me Five bucks yesterday to buy two light bulbs for the trailer. It is not funny, it is just reality when you own boats.

roffey

Commander
I bought a brand new boat last year, had one hour on the clock. I thought for sure I will have no worries for the next 5 years. This year when I put the boat in the water all was good for the first 10 hours and now the operating temp will get up to normal. it gets up to 120 and then drops. Not meaning to hijack this thread, but it will be interesting to see if the dealer hits me up for some cash.

roffey

Commander
can't edit my post, I meant it will NOT get up to operating temp

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
You guys are funny haha.

Thanks for help. Found a couple that are mint for their age...but the sellers are asking way to much for them.

That is relative, if they are mint - versus what you can end up with that looks good....

See my sig line, and it is currently at the shop getting a new transom.

Last edited:

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
I had a boat that required a warranty repair after nearly 5 years. Yeah, it was great that they fixed it, but it took a couple of months to sort it out (even though there was a service bulletin about the exact problem).

I had another boat that started coming apart the first time I took it out (also fixed under warranty but took several weeks). In this case the dealer said we just sell them, not fix them.

My point is that just because you buy a brand new boat, it doesn't mean you won't have problems and/or won't get the run around from the dealer or manufacturer.