Marine AC Unit - HPF Fault?

wakerider09

Seaman
I have a 2003 Doral 250se.... I believe the marine unit is a Marine Air System - I believe the manufacturer is out of business at this time, but I keep getting an HPF fault when I use the unit on shore power. Moreover, pump works fine, it runs for approximately 3-4 seconds and then suddenly shuts off and the control adjustment shows an HPF fault??

has anyone seen this before, or know what it means? Des anyone know the type of Freon this unit would use? Not sure if there are different kinds of marine Freon or if they are standard?

Thanks.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Either poor airflow IE dirty filter/evaporator OR more likely poor water flow... Clogged strainer, mud in the pipes, etc..... Remove the strainer element and back flush the water hoses and condensor with a garden hose from the water outlet with the unit turned off... Clean and replace the strainer element.

alldodge

Staff member
I have a 2003 Doral 250se.... I believe the marine unit is a Marine Air System - I believe the manufacturer is out of business at this time, but I keep getting an HPF fault when I use the unit on shore power. Moreover, pump works fine, it runs for approximately 3-4 seconds and then suddenly shuts off and the control adjustment shows an HPF fault??

has anyone seen this before, or know what it means? Des anyone know the type of Freon this unit would use? Not sure if there are different kinds of marine Freon or if they are standard?

Thanks.

Agree with smoke, and will ask, does it work fine when on a generator (if you have one)?

wakerider09

Seaman
I do not believe the issue to be water flow, as noted, when the unit is first turned on water flow appears to be sufficient, it shoots out the side of the boat quite forcefully.... Doesn't appear to be struggling. I'm now leaning towards freon levels?

bobdec

Petty Officer 2nd Class
High Pressure Fault after 3-4 seconds seems to fast for a condensor cooling problem or evaporator freezeup airflow problem to occur.. Also low refrigerant would cause a low pressure condition, usually failure to turn on. A 3-4 second failure sounds pretty rock solid electrical or internal high side blockage to me . Could be a defective HP sensor or circuit, I believe the compressor overload (high pressure) sensor may be internal to the compressor in some systems. If not obvious air flow or water flow restrictions it may be time for schematics and test equipment.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Get comfortable sitting on the dock w ur feet in the water.... watch the flow after it is on.... See if it decreases before the unit faults...
IF the problem is freon related (I very highly doubt it) then this is an area where you should enlist the help of a professional.....

Generally they don't get high head pressure from low levels and if it was over charged by anyone except a complete novice they would have known right away there was something wrong and fixed it.... Honestly as new as it is the chances of it having been serviced by anyone except a pro are probably 1 in 1000 or less.

While you are watching the water flow put your hand in the stream every few seconds and note the temp.... Should be a few degrees over the water your feet are dangling in.... It should never feel hot and temps should not climb after the first minute or so.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
Back-flushing has solved issues like this for me in the past, even when water flow looked adequate. I would suggest giving it a shot since it is so easy.

I googled this real quick out of curiosity and the most common suggestion, by far, was back flushing and cleaning the strainer.

I also found some posts on resetting the AC control panel to default. Going to need the manual for that one most likely.