Bow riders with outboards

I have been looking hard for a bow rider or dual console in the 18-20 ft range with outboard and they are few and far between. I have come across a WellCraft 2002 180 sportsman with a 150 hp Yamaha 2-stroke any thoughts on this package,it will be used for skiing,tubing and some fishing in freshwater,I have come across quite a few I/O but would rather have the outboard thanks for any info.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
you will have plenty of power, for what you want to do. The package will be fine for tubing, fishing and recreational water skiing, but underwhelming for serious skiiers. BTW- I think you are looking for the correct style of boat, FWIW.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Plenty to choose from if you are interested in a newer boat. If you have a budget under $20K, what you found is about typical of what will be available.
I suspect if you are looking at a 2002, your budget is around what I mentioned.

Found another boat in my price range a 2000 19' javelin fish and ski with a 150 hp Johnson any thoughts on this package thanks

southkogs

Staff member
Those are two pretty different boats. What kinda' water are you on? River, Great Lake, inland lake?

The Welcraft would handle rougher water better and probably more passengers better. The Javelin it probably a little faster (or faster feeling), but not as good for a family or rough water.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
In addition to direct drive inboards I ski often behind an 18' glastron with 150. Great size boat and power combo. Buddy used to have a fish and ski 18' Dynatrak. Nice low wake with shallower dead rise. (More like a bass boat). Bow was not deep enough for passengers, but large carpeted bow and rear deck made great staging areas for water sports.

The boat will be on a smaller inland lake and the javelin is priced a little higher and would you favor the Yamaha over the Johnson and is the build quality favor either boat manufacturer. I like the fact that both boats have no carpet and both have outboards. There is a Yamaha dealer close to me but I do not believe there is a Johnson service center close would that factor in your decision,thanks for any info

Thanks for the responses, One more I have come across is a 1996 Sunbird Neptune 181 with a 2010 115 hp Evinrude Etec with 150 hrs on motor any thoughts on this package?

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I personally think that won't have the power you will want. If it's just you in the boat pulling a tube you would be fine. But add your better half, and a cooler full of goods and three people on the tube. No go. I would stick to around 150hp for a 18' boat.

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 99' Four Winns Horizon 170 with a 115 Johnson OB on it and love it. Honestly I couldn't picture myself in an I/O boat. with a full load the boat will still get up and go, top end depending on load is 42-44 MPH unless I have my 4 blade on which I use for tubing, then it's 39-40 MPH but I don't run WOT all the time anyway so top end isn't all that important. It's a 2 stroke, so fuel economy isn't one of its high points but lb. for lb. it's much more nimble and has a better power to weight ratio than most comparable sized bowriders with 4.3 V6 I/O... I have a buddy that has a 19' chaparral with a 5.8L in it and I can hang with him pretty well because his is so much heavier... and he drinks more fuel. The extra deck space of not having the engine in the bilge is a major plus too. My only complaint is the lack of more of a swim platform on the back that most I/O offer, but the extra sole space makes up for it.

BayracerL.I.

Cadet
When some would bash Bayliner I have owned two. First was a 1976 tri hull with a 76 evinrude 75 hp outboard. this boat was strong. I would run Jones inlet full throttle and the boat would ask for more. The second was a 2002 18 foot with a 125 hp merc. This was a fun boat. It got up and went , and on plane went into some skinny water. Im talking 18" to 2'. Pulled a water ski out of the water in no time but it was a boat you would get wet in

jkust

Rear Admiral
I have a 99' Four Winns Horizon 170 with a 115 Johnson OB on it and love it. Honestly I couldn't picture myself in an I/O boat. with a full load the boat will still get up and go, top end depending on load is 42-44 MPH unless I have my 4 blade on which I use for tubing, then it's 39-40 MPH but I don't run WOT all the time anyway so top end isn't all that important. It's a 2 stroke, so fuel economy isn't one of its high points but lb. for lb. it's much more nimble and has a better power to weight ratio than most comparable sized bowriders with 4.3 V6 I/O....

The difference is among other things that even a carbed 4.3, 1996 and later has 260lbs of torque vs the Johnson outboard....the MPI version is even higher. The key is to have one I/O boat and an outboard boat or two for different needs that day. Also, while my 2 stroke bowrider is great with immediate top end, it's old technology is smoky and loud and like you said literally drinks gas when you are doing watersports.

southkogs

Staff member
For used boats the bulk of it comes down to what you want in a boat and what condition your options are in. I've only owned Johnson's and Evinrudes, but Yamaha has a good rep. I wouldn't be afraid of either of those engines. Any hull can be a decent hull if well cared for. Condition, condition, condition.

The Javelin will feel more like a bass boat. That's the basic design of 'em, and I don't care for that layout. You may prefer 'em.

The Sunbird concerns me just on account of the power ... 115 on an 18' seems a little slow.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Found another boat in my price range a 2000 19' javelin fish and ski with a 150 hp Johnson any thoughts on this package thanks

go with what you can get serviced easiest; i f no Johnson service I wouldn't unless you want to drive a bit for service. That said, go for the Javelin with the Johnson.