Walkaround hull question.

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
Hi guys. I am looking into purchasing a older proline walkaround boat. I followed the iboats check list for buying a used boat and had a separate question. As i was inspecting the hull, i noticed that the front of the bow kinda caves in or bends in under weight. Like when i would step on the one spot it would cave in under weight. Is this a structural issue or is it normal? Im thinking it might be thin material used for the top. Any input? Thanks (keep in mind, this is not a center console boat so the boat does have a cabin)

JoLin

Vice Admiral
IMO, there shouldn't be any flex. If it were me I'd keep shopping.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Are you referring to the inside floor area or is the bottom hull flexing when weight is put on it? I guess either way it sounds like a problem! And no it will not be cheap to fix.......

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
Are you referring to the inside floor area or is the bottom hull flexing when weight is put on it? I guess either way it sounds like a problem! And no it will not be cheap to fix.......

No i mean the top of the bow for a walkaround boat where the anchor is up front. This boat has a cabin so the bow is closed off.

mr 88

Commander
If one spot is soft how long before other soft spots start showing up ? Granted its up top on the deck but I woulod still be worried and 500.00 off is not enough in my book if I still wanted to buy it.When in doubt have a surveyor check it out....

bobdec

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What year and model ? Proline went to no wood sometime in the mid 90's. I know my '96 is all glass including stringers and transom.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
Sounds like the "floor" of the Walkaround portion, up near the bow. My guess is it's a cored area, water got in from either the bow rail mounts, cleats, etc and it is rotted. If just this area it may not be took bad. Keep in mind fixing it could be a lot of work. This particular issue will not sink the boat, but could be annoying to you over time.

airshot

Rear Admiral
If referring to the forward deck flexing while standing on it then that might be OK.....but still trying to understand you for sure.....are you walking in an area designed for walking forward of the cabin or are you referring to walking(climbing) onto a forward deck where you would need to be to drop the anchor? A pic of the boat would be a big help. I it is an area intended for walking on and there is flex then I would say no way...walk away. If you mean climbing onto an area that is not intended for walking on then there will and can be some flex.

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

here is a picture of just a random walk around. And the boat is a 93

Attachments

• photo221083.jpg
    photo221083.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 0

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would be concerned if the area circled is soft. That is part of the main deck, the way I See it, and should be as solid as the rest of the deck.

Glenn