First Boat - 2015 Chaparral H20 19 Sport vs 2015 Regal 1900 ES

jkust

Rear Admiral
Both boats are equipped with the Volvo V6 225 SX.

Ok good to know...I will say then that up to a certain size the 4.3 is actually a good thing. Over a certain loa however and a 4.3 could be considered underpowered as compared to whatever the optional power might have been. I've seen the engines offered on some larger boats range from a 4.3 up to a 350mag which to me makes me wonder.

On the 19 and under boats where resale is concerned then, the 3.0's sort of languish for sale, the 4.3's get snapped up and depending on fuel prices the v8's may or may not be preferred since there is a bit of a fuel penalty as you would expect. The 4.3 and the 3.0 actually get nearly identical 'mileage' believe it or not but the 4.3 has close to 50% more hp and a lot more torque. Boattest.com has some good graphs that denote the 4.3's and 3.0 in different applications. I can say for me, I will never buy another v6 again since it lacks the mid range power I would like that a v8 provides.

antciam

Cadet
Ok good to know...I will say then that up to a certain size the 4.3 is actually a good thing. Over a certain loa however and a 4.3 could be considered underpowered as compared to whatever the optional power might have been. I've seen the engines offered on some larger boats range from a 4.3 up to a 350mag which to me makes me wonder.

On the 19 and under boats where resale is concerned then, the 3.0's sort of languish for sale, the 4.3's get snapped up and depending on fuel prices the v8's may or may not be preferred since there is a bit of a fuel penalty as you would expect. The 4.3 and the 3.0 actually get nearly identical 'mileage' believe it or not but the 4.3 has close to 50% more hp and a lot more torque. Boattest.com has some good graphs that denote the 4.3's and 3.0 in different applications. I can say for me, I will never buy another v6 again since it lacks the mid range power I would like that a v8 provides.

The Volvo V6 225 SX is the largest engine offered on the 2000 ES. So I am trusting Regal that it is not under powered.

jkust

Rear Admiral
That is surprising actually given the Regal is 3400lbs dry with a 40 gallon gas tank. I'm scratching my head why the 5.0 isn't offered since that is 350mag range for top optional engine much less 5.0 MPI range. That is about the top of what I'd put a 4.3 in. The trouble comes when you have a 21" prop and a load of adults...that's when you see the big difference between the torque of a v8. When you are running a normal sized crew, it's acceptable and of course you can prop it any way you wish.

antciam

Cadet
Will I be making a mistake by buying an i/o for mixed salt and fresh use? The boat will be trailered, cleaned and flushed after every salt use.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
  • Top speed for the Regal 2000 ESX (2015-) is 48.1 mph (77.4 kph), burning 17.4 gallons per hour (gph) or 65.86 liters per hour (lph).
  • Best cruise for the Regal 2000 ESX (2015-) is 24.4 mph (39.3 kph), and the boat gets 3.2 miles per gallon (mpg) or 1.36 kilometers per liter (kpl), giving the boat a cruising range of 115 miles (185.07 kilometers).
  • Tested power is 1 x 225-hp Volvo Penta V6.
The 225 is enough engine for the 2000 ESX, but with 4 passengers and pulling a skier or tube, it will be laboring a bit to get on plane.
But for most boating it should be fine. I'm glad our 204FS has the 5.0L V8, pulls tubes and skiers with ease, and tops out at 56mph at WOT.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Will I be making a mistake by buying an i/o for mixed salt and fresh use? The boat will be trailered, cleaned and flushed after every salt use.

No, not if you are good about flushing it. Outboard are just easier to have in salt water while things like risers on an I/O will rust a lot faster than fresh water thus needing more maintenance. I like the idea about having outboard twins as well so never to be left needing a tow. I'm at the point where while I love the I/O for interior space usage, I would almost rather have an outboard for easy winterization and the ability (for me way up north to keep the boat in the water longer in the fall) for an outboard to self drain and also tilt up higher than an I/O among other things. Big outboards are really expensive however. I'd probably opt for the galvanized trailer if I were you as well.

robopath

Seaman Apprentice
That is surprising actually given the Regal is 3400lbs dry with a 40 gallon gas tank. I'm scratching my head why the 5.0 isn't offered since that is 350mag range for top optional engine much less 5.0 MPI range. That is about the top of what I'd put a 4.3 in. The trouble comes when you have a 21" prop and a load of adults...that's when you see the big difference between the torque of a v8. When you are running a normal sized crew, it's acceptable and of course you can prop it any way you wish.

I agree, my 19ft Four Winns is offered with 270 V8. OP, I have the same 225 V6. FWIW I can get a slalom skier up with 6 guys in the boat with the stock prop, granted I'm at 2800 lbs.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I agree, my 19ft Four Winns is offered with 270 V8. OP, I have the same 225 V6. FWIW I can get a slalom skier up with 6 guys in the boat with the stock prop, granted I'm at 2800 lbs.

Imagine another 600lbs of just boat weight plus however much extra gas between your Four Winns and the OP's 40 gallon tank. I'm a big fan of the 4.3....just not when you start talking about mid 3000 lbs of just dry weight. At that point, I'd be looking for that larger v8 especially on such a nice class of boat.

mytiburon

Cadet
The 19h2o hits 60mph with the 4.3 mpi, 4 people in boat 3 batteries and trolling motor. Bigger engine isn't needed, maybe the 21' version.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
The 19h2o hits 60mph with the 4.3 mpi, 4 people in boat 3 batteries and trolling motor. Bigger engine isn't needed, maybe the 21' version.

That is not correct. Unless you measured the top speed with a broken slide rule. Top speed at WOT (4900 rpm) is 51.2 mph in the 19H2O with the 220hp 4.3L and Alpha drive. Slightly slower with the VP drive.

http://www.boatingmag.com/boats/chaparral-h2o-19-sport

jkust

Rear Admiral
That is not correct. Unless you measured the top speed with a broken slide rule. Top speed at WOT (4900 rpm) is 51.2 mph in the 19H2O with the 220hp 4.3L and Alpha drive. Slightly slower with the VP drive.

http://www.boatingmag.com/boats/chaparral-h2o-19-sport

Here's what I'll say on top speed....with a nearly empty gas tank, one person, with the wind you can get a couple more ticks on the gps. GPS 60mph is going to be really hard to touch on a Chap that does not have a fast hull. Top speed ever on my Chap with a 4.3, dry weight close to 3200lbs, with the wind, unusually low gas tank, just me, 21 pitch alum prop with no cupping was 51.3 mph on gps. I've never had those conditions again since I've never let my gas nearly run out again but when people ask how fast it goes not realizing it is a heavy, slow poke...I tell them 51.3. In reality with 4 on board, fully loaded down it is a 46 mph boat. It should have had the 270hp v8 option but that was a lot more money.

mytiburon

Cadet
Actually I will gps it next time I am out I may have been mistaken however it is no slouch.

Last edited:

dmtalon

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Maybe a bit off topic, but I've seen on here a couple times the H20's are entry level Chaparral's and I obviously wouldn't argue with that, but what are you losing with that? Is the hull construction different on the H20, or does it share the same construction methods/thickness? Are you mostly losing things like nicer carpet, nicer upholstery, more gadgets etc? Because Gadgets, and accessories can be upgraded/replaced overtime if the current ones wear out etc.. And you're not financing those into the boat if you want to add additional 'things'.

I'm just curious.