First Boat - 2015 Chaparral H20 19 Sport vs 2015 Regal 1900 ES

antciam

Cadet
Hey Guys,

First post about buying my first boat.

I am debating between a 2015 Chaparral H20 19 Sport and the 2015 Regal's 1900 ES. Both are going to have to be ordered since the local Chaparral dealer only has a red 19 sport in stock and the Regal dealer doesn't have any 1900 es in stock.

I was pretty dead set on the Chaparral because I like the layout and quality of the boat, plus the dealer is 5 mins down the road. But last night just for chuckles I looked on Regal's website and saw that they are having a major sale and I can get one for about the same price of the Chaparral but with what looks like more features. The only problem is the Regal dealer is 3 hours away...

Any personal experience on why I should buy either boats would help. Or if you would like to add another boat into the mix. I am looking for a 19-20 ft bowrider that I will be using 50% intracoastal and 50% salt/brackish bay connected to Chesapeake Bay.

Thanks.

jkust

Rear Admiral
They are both great boats...that Chaparral however is their entry level line...a line that didn't exist until the recession necessitated Chaparral produce a less expensive line of boats as compared to their SSi models. My point is that you can buy an SSi model that is slightly used for the price of the new H20.
Maybe you prefer new for the warranty however. If your life is like mine, I simply don't have time to deal with a dealer that is 3 hours away which would make me favor the brand with the closer dealer.

tpenfield

Staff member
+1 to the above . . . Chappy's are decent, but the H2O is an entry level line for them. If you can get a similar size Regal for same $$$, you may be better off.

mytiburon

Cadet
I have a 19h20 sport, however I wouldn't let the fact that it's a chapparal entry level boat fool you. It is a great boat with the extended hull. We have added a tower, installing a garmin gps next week and infinity sound. Not much more we want in a boat. Anyways dealer location would be a big thing for me too. Get the 220mpi and don't look back.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
I have owned both a Chaparral 21' and a Regal 20 ' boat. The Chaparral in my opinion, was very well made, with very good craftsmanship. Now the Regal was even better in every aspect, from the seats, to the fabric, and even the fiberglass gelcoat. I have a cobalt 226 now, and I still think the regal quality is neck and neck with it. I also think the Regal will have a higher resale. Dave-R

antciam

Cadet
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Thanks everyone for the advice so far. I went to the Chaparral dealer with a $25,000ish budget to look at the H20 18 Sport and was quickly informed that the [/FONT]Mercury 3.0L MPI 2.00 Alpha 135 HP would not be enough power to have 4-6 on board and go tubing (and other watersports as time progresses). I was also told that Mercury is going to stop making the 3.0L and that most likely the H20 18 sport will be powered by [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mercury 4.3L MPI 1.62 Alpha 220 HP soon enough. Which I figured would be bad for resell. So since the the H20 19 sport is in the 30,000+ range after all the options the dealer typically puts on, I spent last night looking for other 19-20 ft bowriders in the 30k-35k range. This increase in budget has just added more to look at and has frustrated me more since I am one to research something for hours on end. [/FONT]

antciam

Cadet
They are both great boats...that Chaparral however is their entry level line...a line that didn't exist until the recession necessitated Chaparral produce a less expensive line of boats as compared to their SSi models. My point is that you can buy an SSi model that is slightly used for the price of the new H20.
Maybe you prefer new for the warranty however. If your life is like mine, I simply don't have time to deal with a dealer that is 3 hours away which would make me favor the brand with the closer dealer.
Jkust - I love the SSi models but I am not one to buy used... I like the piece of mind of a warranty.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Regal 1900 without question. The H2O models are nice for their price point, but are entry level boats. The Regal will have a touch better fit and finish, and the hull is also more efficient than the Chap.

If I were you, I would also look at the Monterey 196MS Montura, or a used Monterey 194FS or 204FS.

Last edited:

antciam

Cadet
Finally got hold of the Regal dealer today and he is suppose to email the specs on the two 1900 ES he just got in today. I also have him sending me the specs of a 2000 ES he has in stock. I contacted the local Monterey dealer and he has nothing in stock but can get one from PA or NJ, also if I ordered one he stated turn around is 4 weeks.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
It would probably be OK for four, but you would probably feel pretty cramped with 6, especially if you were spending a day on the water with gear. If you were doing short rides from a dock, six would probably be OK, but for longer trips, you'll feel like you're on top of one another.

antciam

Cadet
Alright so after talking to the Regal dealer and comparing the prices I think I am going to proceed with the Regal. But wait its not that simple... Now after doing some more research and talking to the dealer I am adding the Regal 2000 ES to the table. Now this is the question is the 2000 ES worth an extra 6k? The 2000 ES is 5" longer, 6" wider and has 2 degrees less Deadrise. The 2000 ES seats 1 more person, has storage under the seats in the bow and has a removable seat where the transom walk thru is. I am leaning towards the 2000 ES if I can negotiate some but still don't know if the $$ is worth the extras. Any advice?

antciam

Cadet
Alright so after talking to the Regal dealer and comparing the prices I think I am going to proceed with the Regal. But wait its not that simple... Now after doing some more research and talking to the dealer I am adding the Regal 2000 ES to the table. Now this is the question is the 2000 ES worth an extra 6k? The 2000 ES is 5" longer, 6" wider and has 2 degrees less Deadrise. The 2000 ES seats 1 more person, has storage under the seats in the bow and has a removable seat where the transom walk thru is. I am leaning towards the 2000 ES if I can negotiate some but still don't know if the $$ is worth the extras. Any advice?

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Compare the 2000ES to the Monterey 204FS. You will find more cockpit space in the Monterey, price should be less as well. Handling and ride should be similar.
I looked at the 1900 and 2000ES when considering our next boat. The Monterey won based on the added room, and value for my dollar. Very happy with all aspects of our 204FS.

antciam

Cadet
Compare the 2000ES to the Monterey 204FS. You will find more cockpit space in the Monterey, price should be less as well. Handling and ride should be similar.
I looked at the 1900 and 2000ES when considering our next boat. The Monterey won based on the added room, and value for my dollar. Very happy with all aspects of our 204FS.
I looked at the 204FS but prefer the seating option on the Regal. I like the U / J seating vs just the sport seating.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Ok. I'm surprised where you boat, that you have not considered an outboard powered boat. There are a couple Monterey's in your area.
217 Blackfin and 197 FS. But seating seems to be a sell point for you, and whatever fits best for you, is what you should buy.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
OB's in salty water are quite a bit easier to maintain than an I/O in the same waters.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
If you are not against an outboard powered bowrider, and you like the U-shaped seating. Take a look at the Crownline 19 XS.
Very nicely done boat, with good room for it's size.

jkust

Rear Admiral
What sized engine are we talking with these boats you are proposing? The power to me is a big differentiator where I would be willing to give up something for say the next larger engine. One of the things I don't like about the H20 (where you mentioned the 3.0) is the 4.3 being their biggest engine option where as since 2002 the Chaparral 18 footers offered up to the 270hp v8 in either Mercruiser or Volvo. While Monterey is nearly non-existent here in MN because of regional differences, I would seriously consider those because they get it right. While much of this advice is directed at new boats, it all goes out the window when talking about early and mid 2000's boats when, Regal interiors were still in their early days but had the somewhat quirky stepped hull, Monterey was ahead of the curve as was Chaparral details-wise but had heavy build weights and nobody mentioned it yet but Sea Ray was in a downward spiral with their sport boats producing marketing over function or features. Also, an outboard in Salt water is that big a deal.