Tips for selling a boat

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
I have been trying to sell my boat for 3 weeks with no luck. It is a 14ft with a mercury 5 on it. Any tips or ways to get it gone so I can upgrade.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Where do you have it listed, do you have detailed pictures and descriptions included in your ad, are you asking a price that is inline with the other boats of that nature in the area? Often times when we try to sell something we overprice it, I have been guilty of it. Are you asking to little for it, that is a red flag as well, if it is to low, people won't call on it because they think there is something wrong. What type of boat is it? Aluminum fishing, Fiberglass run about, etc? There are lots of websites on the net that help you write the most effective ad you can, you might do some searching about writing ad's that sell.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
Where do you have it listed, do you have detailed pictures and descriptions included in your ad, are you asking a price that is inline with the other boats of that nature in the area? Often times when we try to sell something we overprice it, I have been guilty of it. Are you asking to little for it, that is a red flag as well, if it is to low, people won't call on it because they think there is something wrong. What type of boat is it? Aluminum fishing, Fiberglass run about, etc? There are lots of websites on the net that help you write the most effective ad you can, you might do some searching about writing ad's that sell.
Here is the ad

Edit: Sorry JoshOnt, linking to your ad goes against our solicitation rules. You can post a brief description of your ad......

Last edited by a moderator:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
You should be able to send me a Private Message that does not violate the terms of service on this website and I will be happy to take a look and make some suggestions, I am normally pretty good at writing ad's that sell things, I have never had any problems selling any of my stuff.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Make sure everything works as it should, and be honest in your description. Many sales are killed right away when repairs are needed or the description is not accurate. Otherwise as stated before, look seriously at your asking price and compare it to other similar boats. Another thing to consider is that boat suitable for the normal boating wants and needs for your area? I live in the great lakes area where small boats are not of much interest so sales are difficult.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
Make sure everything works as it should, and be honest in your description. Many sales are killed right away when repairs are needed or the description is not accurate. Otherwise as stated before, look seriously at your asking price and compare it to other similar boats. Another thing to consider is that boat suitable for the normal boating wants and needs for your area? I live in the great lakes area where small boats are not of much interest so sales are difficult.
I live i the Great lakes area too, we have lots of small lakes that are more popular due to boat sizes. I think my price should be close. It is about $150 over the average for the boat type and motor here. It has lots of recent upgrades so that is why it is listed above. Over $600 in upgrades in the past 9 months.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Well then you have to keep tryin....it sounds like you have done your homework so just waiting for the right buyer to come along. A number of years back I had a 14' for sale for most of the summer with few bites, so I sat on it over the winter and tried again in the spring, ask a higher price and sold it to the first guy to come out....
go figure?

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
Well then you have to keep tryin....it sounds like you have done your homework so just waiting for the right buyer to come along. A number of years back I had a 14' for sale for most of the summer with few bites, so I sat on it over the winter and tried again in the spring, ask a higher price and sold it to the first guy to come out....
go figure?
My reason for trying to get it gone quick is I am moving soon and can't bring it with me. Time will tell

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
If your boat isn't selling at this time of year, it's probably priced too high. Just because you have X# of $$$ in it doesn't mean you'll get that money back. Decrease the price $100 a week until it sells.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
If your boat isn't selling at this time of year, it's probably priced too high. Just because you have X# of $$$ in it doesn't mean you'll get that money back. Decrease the price $100 a week until it sells.
Thanks, this helped me sell it. Sold much lower than I wanted but it is gone.