Correct way to connect my livewell plumbing.

JFoshee

Seaman Apprentice
My boat has a switch under the seat for my livewell. It switches from Recirculate/empty/auto. The diverter valve had been removed and it only filled till it run out the overflow so I am replacing the valve. My question is should the suction of the pump be coming from the drain on the livewell or should the pump be going through the transom of the boat to suck in fresh lake water? I don't think the pump should go through the transom because my boat only has two holes through the transom for the livewell. One for the overflow and the other I assume is for the drain. I currently have it hooked up so the livewell drain is going into the suction of the pump and it works by filling livewell with a water hose, but have not had in lake and not sure if it will fill with lake water this way. I hope this I snot to confusing. I will try to get a pic of the setup tomorrow. Thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
My boat has a switch under the seat for my livewell. It switches from Recirculate/empty/auto. The diverter valve had been removed and it only filled till it run out the overflow so I am replacing the valve. My question is should the suction of the pump be coming from the drain on the livewell or should the pump be going through the transom of the boat to suck in fresh lake water? I don't think the pump should go through the transom because my boat only has two holes through the transom for the livewell. One for the overflow and the other I assume is for the drain. I currently have it hooked up so the livewell drain is going into the suction of the pump and it works by filling livewell with a water hose, but have not had in lake and not sure if it will fill with lake water this way. I hope this I snot to confusing. I will try to get a pic of the setup tomorrow. Thanks.

If you have a vane pump which can run in either direction (FWD/REV), the pump will fill or drain the well when the boat is sitting in the water. If its a diaphragm pump it will not work