Understanding my toilet plumbing

MacShorty

Cadet
Hey all, need a little help understanding my toilet plumbing on my new-to-me 1974 Nautaline Houseboat. Bought the boat at end of November and am getting around to working on the toilet. The electric pump on it was totally bound up so out it went. As I am disconnecting things and tracing the plumbing lines, I noticed that water line coming from the through-hull fitting doesn't have a seacock. It's straight hose running right to the fitting. Surprisingly enough, when disconnected it doesn't leak at all. Is this normal to not have a seacock, or other means, of closing this water line? New to boating so it's ok if you talk to me like I'm a 6 year old. :)

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
It should have a ball valve installed. I suppose it may have had one in the past,broke and removed? Just for peace of mind,and safety I'd put one in. Imaging just cruising almond,and for some reason the force of the water moving along the hull,forces water in,overflowing the head,and possibly starting a syphon. Not good.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Surprisingly enough, when disconnected it doesn't leak at all.

Missing something here. If the the supply hose is below the waterline (and it would have to be for you to bring water to the bowl) it HAS to leak (gush water, actually) unless the hole through the hull has been plugged up. I'd first verify exactly what is going on down there. As grub sad, you NEED to install a ball valve (seacock) through the hull. A plain old thru-hull with no shutoff is totally unsafe.

My .02