Marina Boat Slip Rental - Odd Custom for Boat Lifts?

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
A friend of mine wants to rent a boat slip at a local Denver lake, good news is that boat lifts are permitted and somewhat common. The unusual custom at this particular marina is that the slip tenant must purchase the lift, but at the end of their tenancy (say average 3 years), the lift becomes property of the marina when the tenant vacates the slip.

These are basic floating galvanized steel lifts with plastic floatation cubes. They are attached to the docks with lag bolts and backing plate at the bow end, with a single or dual slip fitment over a pylon amidships to keep the lift square in the berth. Otherwise, they float as does a watercraft and do not burden the dock with weight, and are easily removed.

Seems odd at best, if not fishy, but evidently it is customary and part of the lease terms. We do have limited water in Colorado, so supply/demand rules. Is this normal? Any ideas to avoid such shenanigans? Should he just suck it up and hope to stay on over a longer number of seasons?

Thanks all.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
The marinas I have used have all stated that anything bolted or screwed down becomes property of the marina.

That said I would negotiate that point myself.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
My question is why you would want a floaty lift in a slip?

Why not just secure the boat and let it float on its own?

Last edited:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
My question is why you would want a floaty lift in a slip?

The hull is completely out of the water if it is the type I'm thinking. No chance of bellows failing, or a failing bilge pump, or just the stuff growing on the hull. LOTS of big advantages.

Do you need to attach it or can you find another lift that doesn't require it? Locally, I've seen the lifts that use compressed air to lift and barrels that can be flooded to sink it. They don't attach to the dock, they can be tied off. The drive on floating slips do not need to be attached either.

(not endorsing this product, there are others, but from the site...

"Simply tie the FloatLift? to most places you can tie your boat: slips, side-ties or even a mooring buoy."

http://www.sunstreamcorp.com/project/floatlift-premium-free-floating-hydraulic-boat-lift/
)

Last edited:

Maclin

Admiral
What if a guy put a lift in, then 3 years later "decided" he did not like at and removed it, then a month or so later vacated the slip?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Then he would have stolen marina property.

If he decided he did not want it his legal choices would be to request that the marina remove their boat lift OR he could vacate the slip.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I would never buy a lift and allow the Marina to take it from me. Find another Marina unless they are willing to lease you the slip for free.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
There's a fair chance they may be willing to negotiate

The reason they make this rules is to keep everyone from constantly installing and removing equipment and damaging the docks.....

It's at least worth talking with them.

bobdec

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Around here it remains your property. The lift and the lift installer must be on an approved list, there is a small one time install fee the marina charges, probably to cover bolt holes and alterations to the slip. There is no increase in slip rental cost. Heck a floating 6000 lb lift costs $4000 to $6000 that's a chunk of money to give away after 3 years.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
My last 2 marinas you keep the lift but you have to pay them to install and remove it.

TexMonty

Seaman
At my marina you can purchase the lift out right and it is yours forever, or rent a lift from them with the slip. I have had 3 different slips at 3 different marinas and never heard of buying and then having to leave the lift at any of them.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the input folks. Feels like this scenario calls for either: (1) dealing with it and hoping for a longer stay, (2) attempting to negotiate another alternative, or (3) prior to future departure, sliding out under the cover of night with a 750 lb lift.

For those marinas that keep anything that is bolted to the docks, does that also include basics such as a dockbox? We just lagged our box into the wooden deck.

+1, those Sunstream Floaters are very nice, just take up a bit more room to allow the floating bunks to pivot outbound and they also are even more expensive than the Hewitts. The drive-ons are most simple and also tie up, but feels like you would need to give 'er some throttle to get a 20-21' heavier boat up on top, not sure.

FWIW, our biggest concern is the risk of hull blisters. I've kept our boat for the past 5 years in a 3-4 month seasonal wet slip with no problems, chalk it up to dumb luck or our arid climate and short season. Just how lucky do you feel?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
For those marinas that keep anything that is bolted to the docks, does that also include basics such as a dockbox? We just lagged our box into the wooden deck
Yes and that is exactly why.... Otherwise every renter in and out would put more lag bolts in the dock riddling it with holes.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
Yes and that is exactly why.... Otherwise every renter in and out would put more lag bolts in the dock riddling it with holes.

I hear you, but both the boxes and the Hewitt lift mounts can use the same 1-4 lagbolt holes. Our more friendly marina already had lag holes with stainless lag nuts and bolts sitting there for us. We just had to set our box and mark two holes in the bottom of it through the existing holes.

I'm thinkin it's all just gouging for an enthusiast sport and limited water time here in CO.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Eh... I personally don't love being restricted but I understand

A friend of mine wanted to take his dock box when he left the marina... They allowed him to take it after he agreed to pay for the boards he drilled to be replaced

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
Sounds reasonable to have the tenant pay for any replacement decking, damage, new holes. Agree with your suggestion to attempt and negotiate something a bit more sensible and fair for both parties.

You also have a point about less than attentive slip renters. Most are not nearly as anal retentive as I am. The admiral laughs hysterically anytime I carefully coil the docklines or other such things. She only wises it were the same at the house.

agallant80

Commander
1/10 inch coat of Intelux 2000E alternating grey and white to insure coverage followed by 2 coats of red ablative paint followed by two coats of black. Recoat paint every year. Wet slit and call it a day. [h=3][/h]

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
1/10 inch coat of Intelux 2000E alternating grey and white to insure coverage followed by 2 coats of red ablative paint followed by two coats of black. Recoat paint every year. Wet slit and call it a day.
We are talking about slipping in a lake therefor no anti fouling paint. I would prefer not to put anything on my hull and which is why I would prefer a lift if possible with a fiberglass hull.

Last edited: