Just wondering what this is in drain hole??

Mule Laker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anyone know? Just saw it this morning.

Attachments

• photo220194.jpg
    photo220194.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 0

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Looks to be an engine oil drain tube. Is the other end connected to the oil pan?

Last edited:

akincer

Cadet
That is for draining the engine oil without having to climb down in engine compartment to do it. You remove square headed brass plug on the end then let it drain. Make sure to warm the oil up first, and remove the dipstick cap to allow air in. Even then, you should allow for a couple of hours of drain time. These things are notoriously very slow!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not ever using one before, I trust it is completely sealed around the pipe outlet. Other wise water will get in... And YES there are many other things that could be said about it, but I won't start with anything to get in trouble either! :facepalm:

Thalasso

Commander
You must have a Merc. It's for draining your oil. Remove the brass plug and out comes the oil.

Mule Laker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry if it's a little graphic for the forum. Ha! And yes, it's a 2007 Mercruiser 3.0.

I'd never noticed this before so it wierded me out.. I've just always had the shop change the oil in the fall, I've never done it.

Is this set up like this from the factory?

MRS

Commander
Is the boat plug wired to the end of it noticed the cable on the end. Not factory but alot easier and cleaner way to change the oil like others said slow but way easier...