Houseboat restrictions on lakes?

mrbuttons

Recruit
Hey there,

I'm located in Quebec (the laurentians) and I'm trying to figure out the laws that might restrict the kind of boat I can have or build on my lake. I basically want a place to hang on the water, be it a small houseboat or an 8x10 room on a floating dock that I build myself and call a houseboat :) Do you think I'll run into any restrictions? How can I confirm that what I want to buy or build is allowed? My lake association is small and hasn't really dealt with anything like this...

Thanks!

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Hey there,

I'm located in Quebec (the laurentians) and I'm trying to figure out the laws that might restrict the kind of boat I can have or build on my lake. I basically want a place to hang on the water, be it a small houseboat or an 8x10 room on a floating dock that I build myself and call a houseboat :) Do you think I'll run into any restrictions? How can I confirm that what I want to buy or build is allowed? My lake association is small and hasn't really dealt with anything like this...

Thanks!

:welcome: to iboats Mr Buttons

This could be a good discussion or a can of worms. I would suggest contacting the local zoning enforcement to see if they have issue. The zoning board (or such) should be able to advise who to contact. If you are on a private lake which is owned by the people on the lake they have a vote. Other outside issues I can think of is sewage and disposal.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Nothing that gets said on this forum is going to answer your question, if it is like MT where I live, every single lake has different regulations concerning these types of things, it is best to contact the local authorities that oversee your lake.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Speaking from past experience on a small lake in N.Y. state, the association did not limit boat size but horsepower was restricted to 5 1/2 which effectively limited boat size--obviously you simply can not move a 20 foot houseboat with that small an engine, at least not adequately. A couple of people did have 20 foot pontoons but they just barely moved.

as far as building a dock, that would probably be a permitted building regulated by both the homeowners association and the state/province/township.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Contact yer local department of natural resources or whatever the Game Wardens are called in yer neck of the woods, 'n ask Them,.....

'n as AD says, the local Code folks might wanta get involved,...

Possibly yer lake associasion as well,....

It's a really local thing that could be regulated by the Quebec government, on down to the town level,.....

Here, it's the State of NY,... Towns, 'n Counties pretty much stay out of it to a point,....