Cabin leakage/drainage

shakey69

Recruit
Totally new to cruisers. Just picked up a [h=1]1989 Century Mirada XL 270 in nice shape. Cabin gets lots of rain water, (guessing from the hatch?) would there be a drain for that? I would imagine if there is there could be a check valve? Can I clean out all the drains somehow from one end or the other ? Thanks.[/h]

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
welcome to the forum.

The two hatches I've owned have a lip thaat drains to the bow, just little slits int he channel - kind of like a house window has them at the bottom on the outside.

WHere are you seeing waterh

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Look in floor hatches.... Sometimes there is a drain to rear bilge area and other times there is a front bilge pump.... Sometimes there is neither

You may have to reach WAY back and pull a plug

Generally better boats have the ford and aft sections separated to prevent the chance of spilled oil or fuel from reaching the cabin.

shakey69

Recruit
Thanks for quick replies! The floor below is soaked, there is a drain just right at between the stairs and the head. Might it drain out or to the hull? Can I send a snake through it without damaging anything?. First my buddy left the hatch open in a rain storm last fall so I don't know if it never dried up or still more coming in. I'll work on that next. In Canada so the tarp just came off last week.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
hmmm water in over the winter, and water is from a rain last fall? Not sounding good if I was the gloomy guss sort.

So you are talking about the people entry not the hatch on the bow? And yes you 'should' be able to snake but before you do I'd get a hose on low and see if it drains. If so, you got a different issue but sounds like a plugged drain. Should drain to the outside of the boat on one of the sides thru a hole. I had one on my 34 that just had a kinked hose. Snaking didn't work, crawing in the engine room to touch it and follow it out is when I found the issue.