89 VIP vision 1700 leaking at the bottom of the stern

poccarnage

Recruit
I have an 89 vision with an omc cobra outdrive. When I'm sitting idle water leaks into the boat at the bottom of the plate. What could cause this. At first I was thinking possibly the bellows, or could this be a seal of some sort that needs replaced?

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard.

Most commonly bellows. Are they okay? I don't know the Cobras that well, but on my stringer there's a good 3 or 4 ways to welcome the water in.

poccarnage

Recruit
Thanks, I'm not sure if it's the bellows or not. I'm guessing that's where its at. Is there anyway to test it?

southkogs

Staff member
Someone else will have to answer that ... I've never owned anything new enough to have bellows :)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Rotten transom will cause that too... You need to get in there with a GOOD flash light and a mirror and find exactly where it is leaking...

Of course the bottom will be wet... Gravity makes sure of that... You have to trace it up to where it's actually coming in..

You may need to pull the engine to find it... Not nearly as hard as it sounds.... If you have good access and something to hoist it you can have it out in 30 min if ur good and 2 hours if ur REALLY slow.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Ya Gotta find the leak, to know how bad the repair might be,.....

Grab yer digital camera, 'n go to a boat lunch, 'n back in,....

You can reach way down into the bilge, 'n take pictures to find the water,.....

Where ever ya see wetness or water, Look Higher,....
When ya find a dry spot, ya just went past the leak,....

poccarnage

Recruit
After looking more, it looks like its leaking out of the bottom of the transom and around the drain plug. Could this be a seal that's just gone bad over the years?