what year is the boat im getting.

snipem

Recruit
so im buying a starcraft american 16 o/b and not sure of the year of it but the H.I.N is STRB859011076-F7 and the hull is white with a dark blue stripe thats outlined in a black stripe along the upper half of the lower hull and it has the fold out tri window as well it says it takes a 105hp motor and 1500pound capasity with a blue vinyl interior and only 2 gauges a fuel and tach i believe. please help.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have tried to search that HIN on three different services that specialize in HIN's and all three come back with invalid HIN, does the person you are getting the boat from have a title or registration? If so, it should be listed on those documents.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I'm on my phone, does the HIN decode if you drop the F7?

85 or 76 IIRC

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
When I did the searches, I tried both with and without the F7, it correctly ID'd the manufacture, but could not identify the other information.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Hmmm

Actually, I thought Starcraft Marine was STR not STRB.

Maybe the B is an 8?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Too many characters, should be 12 not 13. If it was 12 characters, the 1076 would indicate an October 1976. I dropped the "B" from STRB and the F7
and got the below from a HIN decoder, but verify your HIN and check the paperwork.

hin.PNG

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Snipem, you will be getting a valid title for the boat and trailer, correct? if there is no title, it is a yard planter, and not a boat.

shrew

Lieutenant
Snipem, you will be getting a valid title for the boat and trailer, correct? if there is no title, it is a yard planter, and not a boat.

This is gross misinformation. You cannot make this claim without knowing what state the OP is attempting to register the boat in. There are 49 other states other than yours, and not all of them have the same requirements as the state you live in.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
This is gross misinformation. You cannot make this claim without knowing what state the OP is attempting to register the boat in. There are 49 other states other than yours, and not all of them have the same requirements as the state you live in.
Well probably not GROSS misinformation ... without paperwork one state may be easier than another. However, in nearly any state you'll need some form of a bill of sale or something akin to that to make it legal. Check with the local registration agency, but you'll want to have the paperwork sorted out.