got a boat

sgp0511

Cadet
New here picked up a 1967 cobia tri hull boat today. New to boats but I'm a car guy so these look relatively simple. Has a rebuilt floor and good interior just need a motor and controls. Anything particular to look for in these boats?

Attachments

• 20150503_175744.jpg
    20150503_175744.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 0

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard:

In any boat it's all about condition. You've checked the transom and know she's all dry under the deck? There's a sticky in this forum that's great to help ya' go through for potential problems.

I'm assuming it's set up for an outboard?

sgp0511

Cadet
Transom looks good no cracks or anything but near the rear of the boat on the floor there is a door you lift up and you can see a few inches of water in the hull area, should I worry about this out hasn't been on the water since last year but is has been raining hard over here so I'm just hoping it is rain water how should I go about getting this water out

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
so I'm just hoping it is rain water how should I go about getting this water out

Grab your shop vac and start sucking and then see what happens next time it rains or the next time you get it out on the lake.

sgp0511

Cadet
OK I'll do that tomorrow and Since it has no motor and controls when I get an out board for it what do I need with it I know I need a steering wheel and throttle lever and cables but it seems pretty straightforward mount out board connect controls and gas tank and I should be good to go right?

Last edited:

sgp0511

Cadet
And I know here in Texas an out board needs to be titled, is that a law that's really that enforced? I know I can get a good motor pretty cheap but no title

sgp0511

Cadet
In trying to find info on this boat can anyone tell what the model name of this boat is?

southkogs

Staff member
I think THIS is still the same Cobia Manufacturer. There's also some stuff HERE. '67 won't have a HIN (probably) but maybe Cobia can help you via the serial number on the capacity plate (assuming it still has one).

I have no clue as to what your registration laws are in Texas - the local constabulary is the gang to ask. Here in TN, you don't title boat motor or trailer ... but if you don't register the boat you'll have a heap o' trouble on the water.

If you raise the bow of the boat way up, and remove the plug (hopefully it's out already) how much water do you get runnin' out?