carbon monoxide detector going off

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
My carbon monoxide detector goes off occasionally. Most of the time I understand why. Running the motors in the slip for a while is the most common cause. There have been multiple times though where it will go off 1 to 2 hours after all motors have been shut down.

It seems to never happen if we are in the boat for whatever reason. It will be when its sitting at a restaurant and we are eating or something like that. (Boat is closed up) Any ideas?

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Maybe open up the engine hatch for a few minutes before you go up and eat to let the fumes clear out... I would get a digital detector so you know exactly how many ppm are being detected. Nighthawk is a good brand. I register a reading in our bedroom when I open up the door to the garage after parking it inside.. I wonder if dust could set it off like it does on smoke detectors.......

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
if you have fumes in the engine compartment you have problems

as for the detector.... maybe purchase another one and see if they both are going off

could be from another boat running near by

Last edited:

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
I think I will invest in a digital one. Its something we have been fighting since we purchased the boat. Unfortunately popping the hatches is sort of an ordeal.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
I borrowed another CO detector yesterday when I went out. My original one went off while the other did not. I'll get a digital one on order.

Are the digital ones sensitive enough that I could put it down in the engine compartment and look for variations around different parts of the motors to look for issues? I don't hear any exhaust leaks but doesn't mean there isn't something going on there.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
If you have an exhaust leak you'll have a water leak unless it's between the manifold and head and you'd hear that one.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I've had a couple of old CO detectors than would false from voltage or temp changes....

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Kidd has a combo smoke/ co detector that uses a 9 volt... I have one in my Rv... It has voice and tone alarms and a mute button for when it goes off while ur cooking ... Btdt

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer
CO detectors are generally good for 5-7 years. Sounds like yours has hit its expiration date!

I would have to agree. I believe I need to replace mine (10 years). It is in the cuddy and now goes off all the time. I read that they are good for the time you stated and start to sound after they expire.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
CO detectors are generally good for 5-7 years. Sounds like yours has hit its expiration date!

The one in question is actually only 2 years old. I have a lot of problems with the station wagon effect in my boat so I understand why it goes off sometimes. What I really don't understand is how it goes off 1-2 hours after everything has been shut down.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
The one in question is actually only 2 years old. I have a lot of problems with the station wagon effect in my boat so I understand why it goes off sometimes. What I really don't understand is how it goes off 1-2 hours after everything has been shut down.

That would concern me, too!

tpenfield

Staff member
Is the CO detector in the cabin/cuddy? or is it in the engine compartment? Either way, it might be trying to tell you something, so long as it is not defective as someone has suggested. I would check the engine and related exhaust ducts for any signs of leakage. Things like exhaust manifold gasket failures can cause a steady steam of CO to accumulate in the bilge that may go un-noticed while underway and/or with the blower on.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
Is the CO detector in the cabin/cuddy? or is it in the engine compartment? Either way, it might be trying to tell you something, so long as it is not defective as someone has suggested. I would check the engine and related exhaust ducts for any signs of leakage. Things like exhaust manifold gasket failures can cause a steady steam of CO to accumulate in the bilge that may go un-noticed while underway and/or with the blower on.

CO detector is down in the cabin. As mentioned I don't hear an exhaust leak at all, or see water coming in anywhere on either motor. I'm hoping a new digital one will either not go off or can help me pinpoint the source of it.

JaCrispy

Petty Officer 1st Class
When my parents would take their RV out the dog would fart and set off the CO detector.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
Got back down to the lake over the weekend with the new CO detector with read out. The mechanics worked on her in the slip with it running for about 20 minutes while none of us were around. When I got back 30 minutes after they left the detector was going off reading 50 PPM. The max reading button said 105 PPM. So my other detector was not defective, it was sounding as well.

I cracked the roof hatches in the cabin slightly as we took her out for several hours and the gauge read zero every-time I checked it, even after docking. I think the key is to not run her in the slip for very long and keep the hatches cracked while cruising. I need to set anchor one day and get the gauge down into the engine compartment, I think the readings would be very skewed in the slip.