aluminum touch up paint

rtgnyg

Cadet
So I got my newer starcraft boat and the 3rd time out I put a bunch of scratches in the side by rubbing the dock. Its not bad but in the middle of the biggest scratch I can see shiny aluminum a littler smaller than the size of a pencil eraser. I'm not really overly concerned about the appearance, I figure its gonna happen more, but was just concerned of corrosion. I take the boat into some salt some fresh and mainly brackish waters.
Ive searched for what kind of paint to use and got a bunch of different answers. Which is right? I was going to get zinc chromate primer and leave it as the color is gray anyway but can only find green or yellow. Does it what I paint it with after its primed? Or am I better sealing it with an epoxy like gluvit?

Thanks for any info

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Don't worry 'bout it,.....

Aluminum forms surface oxidation almost instantly, that protects the metal,....

That's why it goes from shiny to dull so quickly,...

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah that's not a big deal but to touch it up you would need to feather out the scratch and before painting the area you need to prime the AL with self etching primer so paint will stick to it. Of course you would have to match the paint as well. A bunch of work to go through when a couple of fenders hanging over the side would eliminate that sort of dock damage.

rtgnyg

Cadet
Thanks for the info. I know it was my mess up but such is life. I now have fenders, just one trip too late.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I have seen some folks including myself adding some stripes of various colors to the sides to cover up scratches. With all the work involved in matching paint a simple colored stripe is quite economical and if it does get damaged.....peel it off and replace with another.