Where is the cheapest nice place to live on a boat?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Got in a discussion with a friend the other day about retiring and living on a boat.... Got to wondering where to go.... $1000 or more a month would take a lot of the allure out of it.

Nice clean water fair climate... LOW COST ....

Electricity water pump outs and at least a local grocery store within a reasonable distance.

Preferably a sparsely populated non tourist area......

Anyone know such a place? What do you pay for you slip?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Good friends of mine lived on a sailboat for 22 years. About $10 per foot per month slip rental, $70 per month electricity and water, and $125 per month storage rental. I think he said all in under $900 per month including beer and wine

Edit. That was in the ICW / Palma Sola area

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Kinda' along the same lines as Joe ^^^ Do a little lookin' here: http://tennesseemarina.com

There is moorage along the Tennessee River that can run between about $250/mo and $600/mo. The advantage of being on the TN River (say around Chattanooga) is you can be near a city, but away from a city. Like in Guntersville, you're on a waterway that allows you to connect (should you desire) with the open ocean (you're technically along the Great Loop).

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Tennessee river is absolutely beautiful ..... Test drove my jet n cat on it in Chattanooga .....