new pontoon deck how to fix bad part

smfeight

Cadet
I had a new deck and carpet put on my 28 ft pontoon this last March. The marine shop used a section of really bad(knotting) plywood. After 2 months and what LITTLE rain we get here in Phoenix, AZ I have a 2 ft Dia really soft spot right in the middle of the boat. Yes the rot is all the way thru the deck. Any suggestions on how to fix it without redoing the whole desk. Hoping to get it fix soon, Lake Powell trip in June. Thanks for your help

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I would cut a square out all the way to the mounting points of the deck and cut a new piece of plywood to fit that area. Did they seal the deck at all, before carpet was put down?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Rotted out in 2 months.... Sounds to me like you don't have much choice but to redo the whole job since it sounds like it wasn't done right in the first place.

Jeep Man

Commander
2 months !!!. The plywood would have to be already rotting before being put on the boat. I would consider the whole job to be bad. Sounds like the marine shop cheaped out and used either used plywood or really bad plywood. When you have it re-done, do not use PT. Generally, the quality is not good and the chemical will eat the aluminum. You should have proper marine grade ply or Aurocco A or B which you have sealed properly. Hopefully, they will warranty their work but expect to pay a little for the cost difference between he material used previously and the better stuff they should have used.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Although, I said cut a large square out, that would be quick and get you on the water quick, That said, it will still need to be fixed correctly, which is to replace the whole floor again. I can say, I have never seen a piece of plywood rot out that quick. Something was not right to begin with when they installed the new plywood.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
A slight variation on the temporary quick fix is just cut a patch out of plywood, wrap with carpet and screw it down over the area with the hole

Might bevel the edges before carpeting to prevent stubbed toes and use a contrasting color of carpet to reduce the tripping hazard

Last edited: