used 97 Glastron sf175

84stratos

Recruit
I'm thinking of buyingredients a 97 glastron sf175 bowrider with a 4.o mercuser with an alpha one out drive from the out side the boat looks great I'm going to water test it next week an my main concern is the transom. What do I need to look for of signs of rot or damage an are glastrons with this motor an outdrive a good setup thanks

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard 84.

Lots of good information HERE on looking at a used boat. I'd call Glastron a mid-grade brand of boat. They've got some great history, and I've always liked the ones I've been around. In used boats though, it's all about care and condition ...

thumpar

Admiral
From the size of the boat I am assuming it would be a 3.0l. Thye do make a 4.3l but those are usually in the 18'+ boats. There is no 4.0l. As far as transom I would kind of judge it from the floor condition without going deep. Jump on the floors and walk around for any softness.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
An Alpha drive is very standard. If it is an inline 4 cylinder motor is it likely a 3.0L. A V6 is likely a 4.3L

Make sure you have enough room for your liking, as those 17 footers with an I/O can get pretty cramped with the motor box. An OB on a 17 footer is usually more spacious.