Smokercraft livewell not draining

MTBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 89 16 ft smokercraft magnum has a livewell that I don't understand why it doesnt drain, or seemly has not drain plug? The pump in is near transom and it fills nice, and overflow is good. But, once I am ready to come home, how to drain this thing? (I just go the boat, so , no experience with this setp up)
Thanks for any input

airshot

Rear Admiral
Without seeing yours I can only guess based on a boat I had a number of years back. On my livewell there was an incoming hose from the transom mounted pump to pump water from the lake into the livewell, There was an exit hose high up the sidewall of the tank that acted as an overflow. Down near the pump was a plastic valve sort of an inline valve that turned 90 degrees. In one position it allowed the pump to fill the livewell, if turned in the other direction it allowed the livewell to drain while underway or while on the trailer as long as the pump was turned off. Mine did not come with instructions either but after some fiddling around I managed to figure it out. Not sure about your but look at it carefully and see if you have the same setup.....my best suggestion.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
also look for a remote control for said valve near the helm... will be an odd looking lever inset into the side of the boat near the seat most likely if it has one

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Smokercraft like so many of the boats in that price/design part of the market all had basically the same type of livewell setup. Pump inlet at the stern fills the livewell provided the standpipe is in place. To drain the livewell you simply pull the standpipe. Now here's the rub. So many of these boats have the bottom of the livewell below the waterline so the tank would only drain until the water in the tank was the same as the water level outside the boat. That's just plain old physics. The trick to fully draining the livewell is to get on plane and have someone stick the standpipe in when the tank is dry. Why does it drain when on plane but not at rest? I'll let you figure it out but again, it basic physics. Hint: water runs downhill. Tip #2. If you pull the standpipe while at rest, the tank will fill again until the water level inside and outside are the same so don't do that. I owned several boats in that category and some of them I installed a pump so I could pump the tank out after reaching the dock and removing my fish.

MTBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, I think you nailed it for me. I'll follow your advice and procedure.