On my way.......oh no.

eddie haskell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a lil' Boston Whaler that was a great fishing and crabbing boat for me and my son. I could put it in the water, pull my crab traps ( from the night before) and be eating dungeness 30 minutes later.
However, he has moved on (the last of 4) and its now me and mother who hates the Whaler.
If I wanted her company, and I do, a different boat was needed.

I saw a Glasspar on Craigslist about two years ago, it is old, a 59', but a new deck and transom, and it was like the very first boat I ever fished on down in Southern California, I caught a limit (5) halibut!
I offered him about half of what he was asking, and he took my 800 bucks.
I pulled it home back to the island and the skipper of the ferry came down and offered me 1200 for it!!!!

I kept watching Craigslist for an outboard and finally saw one.
I have the exact same year on my Whaler, only 30 HP, and it is a great runner, so I felt comfortable ( or stupid) and trusted the guy when he said it ran.
In a haste they removed it from a pontoon boat, as the buyer of it didn't want a 2 stroke....

I got it for 500 bucks.

I just hooked up the steering, works good, mounted the controls, but I need new cables, as they cut those off.
Broke the fuel fitting too, but I can fix that.

The kids and grand kids will be up here for the summer, crabbing and salmon, I should have it ready by then.

I retire in two more then I think I will really put some decent restoration into her......
Not show quality, but purty type of stuff.

Here is a picture.
I will keep you informed with updates if you like.

jbcurt00

Staff member
See ya when ya swing back thru.....

I'd check to make sure the deck/transom work was done......

Otherwise, nice looking Glaspar. Trailer's great too.

Jeep Man

Commander
Nice looking rig. You will need to swap out the prop though. A pontoon prop will likely be in the 11 to 13 pitch, your boat will likely be in the 19 to 21 range. Give it a run and check your tach. too low of a pitch can damage your engine.

eddie haskell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Nice looking rig. You will need to swap out the prop though. A pontoon prop will likely be in the 11 to 13 pitch, your boat will likely be in the 19 to 21 range. Give it a run and check your tach. too low of a pitch can damage your engine.

Thanks, never would have caught that one captain. So, it will run with too much RPM and over rev, cavitate, is that what I am looking for? It only has a temp and oil gauge presently.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Sharp looking old GP, looks to have been cared for.

Not sure what an oil gauge would be hooked up to on a 2 stroke? The oil reservoir maybe? Does the gauge read Full to Empty or PSI?

eddie haskell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sharp looking old GP, looks to have been cared for.

Not sure what an oil gauge would be hooked up to on a 2 stroke? The oil reservoir maybe? Does the gauge read Full to Empty or PSI?

You are correct Sir, just a vertical line with Full at the top, and EMPTY at the bottom, which is too late if you ask me !!!!

eddie haskell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
UPDATE: After doing the required husband duties ( don't ask ) I had a few spares to tinker with the new to me motor ( 93 DT 85 ).
I put a charged battery to it, nothing, nada, not even a squeak.....
I wasn't too worried yet, as the price I got it for left me some room to "pay someone else" if need be, however, I am piker and cheaper is virtue with me.
I disconnected the battery and went a digging. I started at the controller, looked good. Went to the motor, looked at all that was visible, again. looked pretty darn good. Dug under the visible wire bundles and found a fuse which appeared to go to the starter relay. Nah, can't be that simple.....
The guy I bought it from got it from a friend who, as I reported above, removed it in order to sell his rig to a new owner who didn't want it, and was ready to pay and take the boat with him.
I thought, maybe, just maybe, they shorted it when snipping wires.
The guy I bought it from couldn't get it to start, but he swore it was a runner before removal.....
AH, it was blown.
I ran and got some new ones. Put it in. Tried the trim/tilt on the motor before I climbed into the boat to the helm.
YES, it worked. Not just worked, but worked great. No laboring or fluid leaks.
Next I hopped in the boat, turned the key, WHAM.......
She wanted to start BIG time :)
I am waiting for some fuel fittings, etc, and new cables, so I didn't actually fire her, just a quick crank, but it sounded GREAT and EAGER to run...

Yeah baby, 30 cents, that is my kind of fix....

I will be in the water soon I hope, this gal needs a drink real bad, been years......

Here is a picture with her up:

Can anybody guess the pitch in that prop?

eddie haskell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Put the fuel line together, and opened the drain valves on the carbs. Flushed enough new gas into the system until I thought I had good juice dripping out.
Cleaned up the spilled fuel, hooked the battery back up ( gas and spark, no no ) . Filled up a barely big enough trash can to dip the bottom end into, turned key....
She lit up and ran great.
Almost there, I need to center on transom and drill new mounting holes and order and install cables then button down all the loose ends for a safe water test.

Where is a good online store to get cables?

I never thought I would be this close to putting her in.
BTW, her oil injection system is there, just disconnected, I mixed up some 50-1. Should I hook it back up or is the conventional wisdom to mix it yourself is better?

Next post, water pixs I hope :laugh:

Thank you

64osby

Admiral
No need to guess on the prop, just pull it off and look at the numbers stamped on it.

Pretty sure iboats sells cables.

I still run an injection system on my old 90 Johnson. I also know that my alarms are working.

eddie haskell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No need to guess on the prop, just pull it off and look at the numbers stamped on it.

Pretty sure iboats sells cables.

I still run an injection system on my old 90 Johnson. I also know that my alarms are working.

Thanxs 64

I know the DT 30 zuki, same year as this 85, the oiler was never a problem, however, I wasn't sure if the bigger units are more prone to oil issues....
I think the alarm is only for level, not flow, am I wrong in this assumption captain?
It came with a gauge, but that seems to only register level too.
Thanks for your help!

64osby

Admiral
Don't know about Zuki's, mine will and has registered a warning when the feed hose cracked.

eddie haskell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
BTW, they do sell them here, best prices too :laugh:

I will mount the controller today, measure, and buy some.......

THANKS!

NYBo

Admiral
Proceed with caution on the oil injection system. Either the previous owner didn't trust it or it was malfunctioning.