Proline 2950 Cuddy gas tank removal circa 1994

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
I am finally getting around to performing this on my alpha 1 Gen II 350 chevy(s). Although, I suspect it will be a nightmare. 2 tanks run 8" along under neath gunnels and are slightly resessed so cutting out deck and pulling out from top may not be the most efficient method of removal. I have thought of removing each motors' outward exhaust manifold and cutting out center fish box. Hopefully, I could pull tanks inward towards bow/keel (where fish box was) and pull upward. I might have to cut some deck near rear end of boat by motors. The other option would be to pull both motors and ODs and partially cut fish box. This option really sucks! Another option would be to use a saws all and cut gas tanks to pieces and remove piece by piece. That sucks more! Any one who has knowledge, please advise.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Removing gas tanks on Proline 2950 cuddy?

I am finally getting around to removing tanks on a 1994 boat. Tanks are foamed in and I suspect are near end of life and must at least be inspected. No leaks yet, but I am over cautious. But, my delima is understanding best way of removal. Cutting rectangle section out of top deck will not allow me enough due to tanks being somewhat shoehorned like motors. I believe my best option is to cut out fish box. Use sawsall with long blade to cut or break tank foam seal the best that I can and then rotate front of each tank inward towards keel. Then I can raise front of the tanks upwards towards helm and remove. I may have to remove outward exhaust mainfolds on each of the 350 MCs in order to provide more rotation inward. Or, I can drain tanks and flush with water and cut the hell out of the tanks and end up with (2) 50 gallon or so tanks. I don't prefer the second option. There has to be someone who has experienced this nightmare too. I have posted on the proline forum but no one has responded.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Rather than postin' another thread, just post into yer original thread to bring it back to the top of page 1,......

Gas tanks in boats are usually installed before the hull is put together,...

Ya just gotta cut or remove what ever's in yer way, 'n go from there,....