Compass oil question

Yarb

Cadet
I have a very old Polaris M. C. compass that need new fluid. Are there any old timers that know what oil they used in them? I do not want to try any thing other than what they used in them for fear of damaging the rose graphics.

Thanks, Yarb

compass.JPG

UncleWillie

Captain
If very old it could be filled with "Mineral Oil" Which could be a multitude of things... including Glycerin.
Glycerin is about as inert of an Oil as they come, you can eat it! And it is extremely clear.
You can get Glycerin at your local pharmacy, it is usually behind the counter, or they can get it in less than a day.
Drain a little out into a glass. Mix in some Glycerin. If they behave well together, you're golden!
If they float apart, or sludge up..... On to Plan B.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Pay particular attention to the section about Radium. Would hate to see you glowing after servicing this compass. And it appears yours is painted white inside.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Yes I meant to specifically mention that but somehow I lost it pasting the link.

Was along the lines of:

Radioactivity is no joke... Not only can it take you out but it can contaminate your clothes, car, and home and take out your family too.

If you have ANY doubt get help from someone with a Geiger counter.

Your local fire department can likely point you in the right direction.

Yarb

Cadet
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions on my compass oil question....................Yarb

superbenk

Commander
Very interesting about the radium. I had no idea! I don't have any compasses anywhere close to that old, but still very interesting information.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Thanks for that article on compass fluid....very interesting reading even though I do not plan on rebuilding any compasses...just interesting!!

dwco5051

Commander
Very interesting about the radium. I had no idea! I don't have any compasses anywhere close to that old, but still very interesting information.
Radium was used for years for glow in the dark markings on aircraft instruments. There are two sites in Lock Haven, Pa where instruments were repaired for years that have been expensive places for remediation. Google radium contamination Lock Haven and get an idea what the total cost was.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
The stuff in my circa 1980's compass was called "Compass Oil" (seriously). West used to sell it. I tried refilling mine, but wasn't able to seal it up properly afterwards and it was always showing a big air bubble. Finally just junked it.