Checkmate TRV-17

Mwar410

Recruit
Hi all! Trying to find some info on this hull. I'm thinking about taking one in on trade because I like the looks of the hull design to use for a CC bay boat. Could this possible be a good idea? Or am I nuts?
What does it draw? How does it go? It would probably end up with a mariner 100 on it.

Thanks in advance for ANY info.
Mike

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
2e690ea.jpg

2mxpt8m.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=Che...8uQsAW2iIHgBQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=480&bih=208

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
It's not what I would generally consider a bay boat but if it was CHEAP it might be worth a shot.... It looks like a fairly stern heavy boat by design but with a smaller engine, batts n gear up front, a cc, smart tabs n maybe a stern lifting prop it might work out....

One BIG downfall is that it won't be self bailing but I suppose you could build it into a self bailing design once you got it rigged or at least mocked to see where the water line was and make sure to have the deck high enough.

Mwar410

Recruit
Yeah, not quite. More like a 73' vintage duck boat.
Can't figure how to make my pictures smaller to upload them. It has a deep-v with large hard chines.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If it is like the picture, it is a bowrider style speed boat. You will want to keep your center of gravity low in a boat like that, when underway, so making it a CC is probably not the way to go. You could make it into a freshwater bass-type fishing boat. You can probably safely use the "high" seats when stopped,

BTW - That is a classic speed boat, and I would hate to see it chopped up.

Mwar410

Recruit
BTW - That is a classic speed boat, and I would hate to see it chopped up.

I realize there's some sort of sacrilegion in chopping certain boats, but resurrecting this one will be better than letting it rot.

There was a few posts I found about it needing a prop for a fast plane, and with a total redesign of the floor plan this might change. My thinking is a belly tank mid/forward, fishing decks with Rod storage and lockers forward, a short console, and fishing deck with fish boxes aft. The floor would certainly sit a few inches higher, normally it looks like it's only in the center about 2' wide, the new one would be as wide as I could go. So self bailing might be possible.

Just figuring I have too much free time and I need another project😄
Hopefully I'll be able to find some pics of how one normally sits in the water

Looks like a decent design for lake, inshore bay fishing. That's what got me thinking.

Mwar410

Recruit
Here's one from an old post on another forum

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 0

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
Kinda off topic but.
I can't find any info on my boat either it's a trihull made by General Marine MFG CO and the emblems on it say Ranger
Maybe Checkmate and General are the same company? My boats model number is TRV-19 and it's kinda hard to believe two separate manufactures would use the same model naming system.

Mwar410

Recruit
I think TRV is a hull design, but I'm not familiar with Tri hulls so I'm not sure. Tri hull, tri-v, ect. So I would think many manufacturers would have the same model and Checkmate does have quite a few copies of their boat designs around.