Best Overall Boat for the Puget Sound area to fish, island hop

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
An Arima has much more room and a slight V in the hull. They are dedicated fishing boats and do pound in chop, but are a step up in ride from a C-dory. Both boats hold their value and prices can be high.

If you plan to cruise around you might look for something with a deeper V, it will make for a much more comfortable ride. For fishing the Arima works very well. There are trade offs with every design, so you need to decide what type of boating you will do the most and pick a boat that works well for that application.

cadmancan

Cadet
Want the best of cruisng (freedom to go all over Puget Sound) and fishing. The Arima and C-Dory seem to be the best for what I desire. At least it seems that way for now. As I learn more I might change but these two are awfully close to what would work well in the PNW.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
A C-Dory does have a flat hull in the back but a pretty fine entry up front. You can trim the boat to improve the ride in chop by getting the bow down. You can also just slow down. In trade you can get up to 30mph on 90hp. At around 18mph the cruising range is about 200 miles on 50 gallons of gas.

A 22 cruiser on an aluminum trailer without tons of stuff on board will be right about your towing limit. I've towed mine with a minivan without any problems for a couple of thousand miles.

If you are in the NW there will be a large gathering of C-Dory's in Friday Harbor in the middle of May. If you visit you will be able to see a bunch of different models and how they have been set up by their owners. You will get any and all your questions answered and probably can talk one or two of them into taking you out for a ride.

See this link: http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=22516

Here's one that might be a very good deal: ​https://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/4994484048.html

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I lived on one of the islands for many years, right on the water. We also had boats moored out front up to 26' in length, so I have a very good idea of my needs, but they may be nothing like yours.

Neither of those are bad boats, but they are very different in design, make sure you take a good long test ride in both before deciding on that type of hull.

If your wife will be on the water with you a good deal of the time she will probably like something with a few more creature comforts than these two models.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
I lived on one of the islands for many years, right on the water. We also had boats moored out front up to 26' in length, so I have a very good idea of my needs, but they may be nothing like yours.

Neither of those are bad boats, but they are very different in design, make sure you take a good long test ride in both before deciding on that type of hull.

If your wife will be on the water with you a good deal of the time she will probably like something with a few more creature comforts than these two models.

Absolutey second what Ondarvr is saying those boats are back brakers at best ..good for tooling around about 15 mph 30/35 is going to be a rough ride in any kind of water above 6" chop

cadmancan

Cadet
Those are some great things to think about. Obviously it can be hard to find the right boat that fits most of your needs but is still affordable. I have already determined on some budgetary things to make a purchase of these types of boats possible, becuase the boat I think I now want is more than the budget I originally estimated. This will be my first boat but since I dont think I will be able to have several, want to make this one count. The wife really liked the C-Dory. Are there particular makes and models that are great for fishing, and cruising that you can suggest so I can read up on them? Makes and models that at least have similar features? Appreciate all the insight you folks have provided thus far.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
When it comes to cruising around in Puget Sound for pleasure size matters, so go with the largest boat in your size range. When fishing you run out for 15 to 20 minutes and then troll for hours on end, an Arima has a great design for that purpose. You can survive the ride for the short run to the fishing grounds because once you get there you have a roomy and stable platform to fish from. For cruising around the islands you need something that can run in rough water for several hours at a time in reasonable comfort. It's up to you which is more important.

Something like a Bayliner Trophy offers a deeper V for cruising and is still a good fishing platform. I'm not saying a trophy is the right boat for you, but that style of boat may be more inline with what you're looking for.

Last edited:

cadmancan

Cadet
I guess I have one last question. Since I will undoubetedly have to buy used to get the features and size I want, at what point is it not worth buying an older boat. I understand that there are several conditions to consider, like how well was the boat maintained. how many hours does the motor have, was it put in dry storage, outside, garage. Are there maintenance records to show how well or how poorly are its records. This is a boat I will want to use for the next 8 years and I dont want to get so old a boat where it almost costs more to maintain than if I just would have waited to get a newer boat. I am ready for the typical costs asscociated with being a boat owner. If I ended up getting a boat before 2000, adding 8 years to that I could forsee it being difficult to resell even if I were to keep it in pristine condition. I guess I am asking is there a general rule of thumb for fiberglass boats where it makes sense to steer away from it if it is older than 15 yyears, 20? If I were to pull the trigger I plan on keeping it in dry storage so the issue with towing capacity isnt really an issue anymore. Thanks!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Don't buy a boat by looking at the resale value, none are worth much at that age, and if it's worth more than others in 17 years it will just cost you that much more now.

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
Guess I am a little late to the party, but if your looking for the sound focus on ride in chop. I think its going to be a bit of a challenge with your towing capacity, heavier boat=better ride (most of the time!) Its choppy out there a lot.

cadmancan

Cadet
Welcome. I am glad to hear from all. I ran across in my research bout the vaying costs of dry storage from the different marinas. I am strongly considering doing this, making the towing issue not an issue. The boats I am looking at may not fit heightwise in my garage too.

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
Storage defiantly fixes weight and height issues. But adds a fair amount of cost.

Just make sure you sea trail anything you are serious about buying!

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
I guess I have one last question. Since I will undoubetedly have to buy used to get the features and size I want, at what point is it not worth buying an older boat. I understand that there are several conditions to consider, like how well was the boat maintained. how many hours does the motor have, was it put in dry storage, outside, garage. Are there maintenance records to show how well or how poorly are its records. This is a boat I will want to use for the next 8 years and I dont want to get so old a boat where it almost costs more to maintain than if I just would have waited to get a newer boat. I am ready for the typical costs asscociated with being a boat owner. If I ended up getting a boat before 2000, adding 8 years to that I could forsee it being difficult to resell even if I were to keep it in pristine condition. I guess I am asking is there a general rule of thumb for fiberglass boats where it makes sense to steer away from it if it is older than 15 yyears, 20? If I were to pull the trigger I plan on keeping it in dry storage so the issue with towing capacity isnt really an issue anymore. Thanks!

One thing about the C-Dory's are that they are pretty simple boats. Very little to go wrong. Plus anything there is very accessible

The only thing really to watch out for is the engine. But, a modern 4 stroke outboard should be very reliable if it has been properly taken care of.

C-Dory's hold their value really well. If you take care of it you should be able to sell it at a high percentage of what you paid for it, even after a good number of years.

cadmancan

Cadet
I guess I can let this thread fade into obscurity now. I want to thank everyone who was gracious enough to give input. Have learned alot from the comments and have read alot. I feel I am contiually growing in knowledge and when it comes time to make a boat purchase I will be adequately prepared.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer
Do you have the room and skills to build a tolman, they are light weight and very sea worth. I am currently less than 2 months into building a 27' tolman jumbo, progress is going well and so far the build is going well. From what I have heard and read these boats are great. The main draw backs are you should not beach them on rocks, need to inspect the hull and make sure no hairline cracks appear, if so immediately repair. My 27' with a cuddy and pilot house will weigh on the trailer less than 5k (with motor and full of fuel). This one is 27' and he runs about 4,200 lbs loaded for cod. hits 25-30 kts with only a 150 hp, for a 27' boat that is unheard of speed for a single engine 27' boat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDmwyNCuhdI&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH2WXtmElxI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drV0IXMlON0

the jumbos are generally 22-24' they have been stretched to 27'

cadmancan

Cadet
Thats cool! It might be a bit of a stretch skill-wise. The room is much more of an issue.