Best Overall Boat for the Puget Sound area to fish, island hop

cadmancan

Cadet
Im sure there are a lot of questions like this. I have always been on boats but have never owned one. I am looking into getting a boat that would be ideal for fishing on the Puget Sound or any of the lakes around Washington. My wife likes the idea of having a place like a cuddy cabin.

Trying to find an multi-functional boat that can be easy to fish/crab from, just cruising around to the different areas within the Puget Sound as I grow in experience and hopefully be able to pull an tube (although that isnt a must).

Something big enough to deal with the weather in the Puget Sound if it gets rough is important.

My price point is 25k (cant go above)
Hoping anything from 17-22ft
Max towing capacity of my vehicle is 3500 (with trailer)
Like the idea of outboard but I hear there are drawbacks with that.

Initially I wanted only aluminum but the wife really wants to boat too so I want something we can both be happy with. I started looking at some Tracker Boats but found alot of negative remarks regarding the brand. I am doing loads of reading and starting to form more informed opinions but I wanted to ask some experts or veterans. Are there brands or types of boats I should avoid? What are some of the most overlooked aspects when buying a boat. I know it will be work whatever I get. Any advice however small would be greatly appreciated.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Any local launching areas you can hang at - and see what type boats others are using and maybe ask for input?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Stay big...the bigger the better Puget sound is absolutely a boater's paradise ..now that's a opinion but you have to boat those water's to see and believe it. I agree cuddy i would stay away from tinny's to much corrosion and a outboard would be cheaper in the long run. Take the time to map out and explore the sound an all of its place's of intrest it's almost endless and the distance's you can travel are amazing..as a rough water it can be very nasty some time's 4 footer's are common.Have fun good luck there are lots of nice boats availbe up there and down here in portland. God's country just a bit short on sun however...;)

San-Juan-Islands.jpg

cadmancan

Cadet
Tail Gunner,
Not sure I undertand your second sentance. About cuddy's, tinny's? Thanks. Do you think 25k is realistic for the kind of boat I want?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Ohh sorry i was day dreaming thinking of a summer's day on the sound..months away..:D Tinny...aluminum boat...Cuddy cruiser is the way to go, 25k yes but that is subjective but enough. How much of a boater are you or experieince..do you intend to trailer the boat or moor it? Opps new or slightly used???/

Here's a start that boat just for size and comfort remeber the sound is huge

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2004-Larson-240-Cabrio-650929

650929_1.jpg

650929_10.jpg

650929_8.jpg

650929_7.jpg

AHH there you go picture's tell you everything post your thought's in pics its all down hill from there..

Last edited:

cadmancan

Cadet
I have some experience going back most of my life but practically I am closer to a novice having never owned boat. I was planning on trailering. The 25k is my budget which can buy me a wide variety of different kinds of boats but may not be enough to travel the greater Puget Sound which is what I ahve dreamed of most of my life. I was planning on financing a this boat so it isnt like I will be getting another boat soon. Thanks for the input. Its greatly appreciated.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
You probably what a sheltered driving position, not just a cuddy cabin (which usually leaves the driver outside). But it depends on how much/when you will be using the boat. In the PNW if you are going to spend a lot of time on the boat, a heater of some sort is probably a good idea. Outboards are usually less trouble in salt water than inboards or I/O. On a smaller boat outboards also tend to give you more cockpit space.

cadmancan

Cadet
Tailgunner, That is nice. I could see myself in that. Ssobol, didnt even think about a heater but that is a a good idea! I do plan on spending a lot of time on the boat. Thanks!

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
If you could see yourself in that boat then study it in detail it's all there. Some might want a bigger engine but its a curiser not a runabout.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I think the biggest challenge will stay at or below your tow capacity.

You could build a Tolman skiff, or, since you're in the PNW, you may be able to find one for sale. They hit all of your requirements.

craigs_jumbo_med.jpg

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
Might want to look at a C-Dory 19. They've been built in the Seattle area for many years.

There are pluses and minuses to all engine installations. But on a smaller boat an outboard probably has more + and less - (IMO).

cadmancan

Cadet
Hey folks! Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it. Had a chance to go to a couple of Marinas and get inside of some boats. I am totally in love with the C-Dorys. That is the boat I think I really want. Got to stand inside two. Out of all the boats I was interested in and read about. I keep coming back to the C-Dory. It may mean I might have to wait a little longer but this boat meets all my needs. Cruising, Fishing, Crabbing, able to handle rough weather should it arise, island hopping. in the PNW. What I am trying to avoid is getting a boat just to get out there and be 2 years into a boat loan just wishing I could upgrade. I would like something I can grow in, go boating fro god spells of time after the kids move out. What do you folks think. I would prefer the C-Dory 22, but the 19 seems great too. I am staritng to understand that the C-Dorys have their drawbacks but the more I read the C-Dory is more than a boat its a culture. Folks love their C-Dorys.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
C-dorys aren't really that popular because the amount of room on the boat for its length is low, plus your speed is very limited in anything but smooth water due to the flat bottom.

They aren't bad boats, and can be very economical to run because you don't need much HP to get on plane. But the ride can beat your brains out. So it's up you and how you plan to use the boat.