OMC Stringer - How important is the Transom?

ricksuper67

Cadet
I have an OMC 800 stringer. The transom on my boat needs to be repaired (the wood is rotten). I think the power is transferred directly to the stringers.

I have read many threads about the repair of transoms and the amount of work that is put in to do an excellent job. My thoughts are in a stringer motor setup the power is transferred to the stingers not the transom, therefore perfection is not required in a transom repair on a stringer motor. Am I correct in assuming that repairing the transom on a stringer is easier or less complicated?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Well the transom is part of the structure of the boat and the stringers attach to it PLUS it is important for keeping the lake on the OUTSIDE of the boat....

Also if your transom is rotten it is very likely that the stringers have issues as well...

The repair will be the same as any other rotten boat.... Fix it back to at least as good as it was when new.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
"How important is the transom" That is a gem of a question! taking into account everything that goes into a boat, I would have to say it is the most important part of the system in the boat, I have run boats without stringers, but never been able to run one without a transom.

southkogs

Staff member
Am I correct in assuming that repairing the transom on a stringer is easier or less complicated?
Transom repair on any boat is complicated. And you are correct that for a Stringer drive, the power transfer doesn't rely on the transom like a Merc or Volvo - yer' Stringer is pushing on the stringers of the boat. Some (not very many) boats built with OMCs had transoms built more like the sides of the hull (without the core wood). So, the transom may not have to be as structural on a boat with a Stringer drive.

BUT: Smoke has a very good point about where your stringers tie into and what kinda' shape they're in.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Considerin' boats rot from the bottom, Up,.....

I wouldn't be so sure the stringers ain't just as rotten as the transom,....

superbenk

Commander
I think the question was more about how precise he needs to be in repairing a Stringer transom. I think the answer to that is that precision isn't quite as vital here since the transom only mounts to the drive via a flexible rubber boot. That said, you want to make sure you provide sufficient structural support & rigidity in the transom so it has to be well built. You also want to make sure things line up relatively closely so that the boot doesn't crimp or crease in weird ways or you'll generate tears and holes in the boot in short order.

So, yes, the transom is really important. Yes, transom rot very likely means stringer rot so don't ignore those. And yes, you can probably be somewhat less precise on the precision of your transom build on a Stringer drive relative to the opening for the drive.