Where to find a good hull to drop my 496/bravo in?

lilcane88

Cadet
I decided to repower my Century 4500 Sport with a 496 stroker and bravo outdrive combo for this season. I didn't have anything wrong with my 350/alpha but was just looking for better performance since the boat took forever to plane out. Upon removing my old engine and outdrive I noticed a weak engine mount and decided to cut it out and glass in a new one. I then dug deeper and found the stringers and transom are beyond rotten and the flotation foam is water logged. So now I'm stuck with two sets of running gear (engines,transom assemblies, outdrives, controls, etc.) And no hull to put either in. I've looked on Craigslist and ebay with no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions where I can find a good hull to put my running gear in? I would prefer at least a 21' boat. Ideally a bow rider but I'm not opposed to a cuddy.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Just keep watching craigslist.... As the north thaws out the cracked blocks will emerge and start trickling onto the market.

cptrick3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would think it would be easy finding someone with a boat for sale that was in deed of a new engine.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
The BIG question is: Where are you located? No sense looking on New Jersey Craigslist if you live in Washington State. Visit and get to know the boat dealers near you. Most have a number of "trades-ins" in their back lot that simply are not economical to sell. You should be able to find an older hull, possibly with engine issues, for relatively cheap bucks.

NHGuy

Captain
There's a Formula 24 footer with a pooched motor in southern Massachusetts. I almost bought it to put a stroker in.