help diagnosing cause of problem

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
No way anyone can know.... The bracket needs redesigned, rebuilt, or maybe even replaced, and there is no guarantee that the boat will perform how you want it too....

I think you are underestimating the complexity of the problem/job.

This could be a pretty easy fix or it could snowball into a nightmare.

A lot depends on the skill of the person doing the work and a fair bit depends on luck since nobody can know how that bracket is built till it is cut open and nobody can know how that hull will perform once the bracket is right since it was never designed to have a bracket on it.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
We are all saying that.... Honestly the pod should probably come off the boat for the repair...

In the end you will have to make the final decision.... We have given you out opinions several times.... If you choose to do differently it's up to you but we aren't going to change our suggestions.

Maybe what you need to do is start looking at as many other boats as you can find w brackets and see how they are made... Also start contacting manufacturers of aftermarket brackets...

Maybe in the end your best option would be to remove and trash your current bracket and have a new one put on....

You keep mentioning concerns with safety which tells me that maybe you don't have anyone qualified to do this right available locally.

The safety of the rework is COMPlETELY in the hand of the person who cuts it apart and decides how best to rebuild it in the correct shape.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Btw in your last drawing the lines should angle up substantially instead of going straight back.

tonchido

Seaman Apprentice
thanks,brackets are few in croatia,there are no real experts for that kind of work,you can see that by watching mine,i dont need to make it perfect, but better would be enough,i will do what is possible,but i dont wanna leave it like this,say,and thanks

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Those are 2 different set ups, the one in the video looks to be a smaller Honda and the stills are a big Merc??? So uh which is yours? Starts off spray off the motor is the problem and then the biggest problem is sea coming into the cockpit from the bow.

I can see by the design of the bow on this boat and the way it enters the water is like that of a non-plane type hull. Not sure there's a way to lift that bow up and out, it even looks to be a hooked hull to keep the bow down.

Looking at the still I can see that the AV plate of the Merc is at least a foot under water when running due to the downward cant of the pod.

Last edited:

tonchido

Seaman Apprentice
mine is the merc one,the hull is designed to go fast with 22 degree vee,the bracket was done after by owner and its just wrong,the problem with boat is bow riding low and bracket does no help but worsen ride

tonchido

Seaman Apprentice
and this is what is done
DSC_1473_zpsslgxevia.jpg
DSC_1502_zpsydnbsj1w.jpg
DSC_1511_zps0joivyt0.jpg

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I am just curious, do you know if that boat was an inboard/outboard when it was built? and came from the factory?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
it was intended for inboard and outboard

I am just wondering, looking up inside that extension, it almost looks that it had an inboard at one time, which might make sense as to why someone built that extension after the motor blew up or something like that. I am just saying based on what I think I am seeing.

tonchido

Seaman Apprentice
good point,but its not direct drive intended,all buyers ask for outboard mounting solution

tonchido

Seaman Apprentice
ok,the summer is on and the boat is much much better than before,i still didnt lift outboard anything(but i will) and the bow is now running as it should be,higher out of sea and thus breaking waves more on the back so it doesnt splash,i am so pleased that you all shared your knowledge,thanks

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Glad to hear it worked for you!

Yeah I would definitely raise the outboard... Since you have two holes available I'd raise it that much... Might still be a bit low but should be a decent improvement.