help diagnosing cause of problem

tonchido

Seaman Apprentice
can somebody tell by watching video why there is so much sea spray around engine

tonchido

Seaman Apprentice
the boat has bracket,i am not sure its very well done,besides the spray on back the bow is to low so i have spray also in front when there is a wind,when i look shaft its just in line with cavitation plate to the bottom of bracket,iam more concern that it is too short,cose the bow is low

NYBo

Admiral
Can you post a picture of the motor leg and transom?

Alumarine

Captain
Have you tried trimming the motor up/out to see if the bow will come up?

tonchido

Seaman Apprentice
when i trimm up it doesnt the lift bow,but it comes out of water,i will take photo today and post,the bigest problem is the splash of sea coming on the front making rides really wet

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Take a look at my video of my 10 foot tunnel hull with a 50. There are some shots looking back and showing the "rooster tail" and spray. Understand that this engine is jacked up way high for performance. The anti-ventilation plate is in line with the top of the tunnel. This might give you some insight as to what you need to do. Perhaps your engine is too high and the bow down attitude is because the prop is not locking-up to the water properly.Search youtube Frank Acampora videos and click on the videos of the Cougar Cub with a Chrysler 50. Also look at the same hull with a 60. note how it is difficult to get the prop locked-up and how the boat is almost uncontrollable.at speed.

Alumarine

Captain
when i trimm up it doesnt the lift bow,but it comes out of water,i will take photo today and post,the bigest problem is the splash of sea coming on the front making rides really wet

What do you mean by "it doesn't lift the bow, but it comes out of the water"? I don't understand how it can come out of the water without lifting?

tonchido

Seaman Apprentice
sorry i wasnt in field today to take a photo,but for sure ill do that tomorrow,what i mean is that bow rides to low,when i want to trim it up,the outboard doesnt do any change to driving position and eventually comes out of water,if i could lift the bow up it wouldnt break waves in a way so the splash enters the cockpit,so i was hoping its someething simple like frank is saying,cose i have another boat and after rebuilding the transom i put outboard one hole higher,and it did make big difference in driving similar to what i have here,to high and doesnt trimm boat up anymore,it did change the way it stears cose there is no drag so its easier to make sharp turns

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
It sounds like the motor is to high or not long enough. It should take a lot to get the prop out of the water while trimming.

tonchido

Seaman Apprentice
IMG_20141023_153922_zpsnqhf683e.jpg
IMG_20141023_144005_zps6kxwtlcq.jpg
IMG_20141023_143552_zpsdl1eqxb3.jpg
IMG_20141022_165252_zpsj15wgbeo.jpg
here are few pictures,so what do you think about bracket,is it well made or you can see something wrong,and what about position of outboard,is it a litlle bit short

Last edited:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
With that type of extension, I think that is just going to be the nature of the beast. The extension is essentially a mini hull that is supporting a lot of weight, but is only 16 inches wide or so. There is going to be a lot of spray. Most extensions don't add any running surface, they are nothing but a bracket for the motor to attach to.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
It LOOKS to me like the running surface of the bracket actually angles down lower than the hull... IF I'm correct that is your problem and the fix would probably be to remove, rebuild, or replace the bracket

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Agree 100% with Smoke! It looks like the bracket is acting like a "hook" in the hull. Additionally, that bracket is way too low at the bottom. At plane the bottom of the bracket should be clear of the water coming off the transom. Your bracket is acting like an extension of the hull and a poorly designed one at that.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Might be possible to remove the bracket from the boat. Cut off the bottom 4" at the front angled to 8" at the back and glass a new flat bottom on it...

Would lose very little static flotation but would be clear of the water on plane.

The boat would most likely perform MUCH better.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
As has been said, who ever designed that bracket did not know what they were doing, or they were trying to compensate for the short shaft engine. Without doing something with that extension, you are not going to solve your problem.