Keeping boat clear of spiders

GaryO

Seaman Apprentice
The last few years I've been having a terrible time with spiders on my pontoon boat. I keep it in a slip on the Rock River in south central Wisconsin. It my sit for a couple of weeks before I can get time off to go boating but when I get to the boat it is a mess of webs and spiders covering EVERYTHING. Is there something I can place in the boat under the mooring cover or some sort of spray I can use to help keep them off the boat?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
A broom to clean up before use? I've never had a boat that wasn't quickly home to a large family of spiders, just goes with boating I think. Anything toxic enough to get rid of them and keep them away is also strong enough you probably don't want to be near it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Maybe after clearing out this last batch of them, you could spray some common household spray to rid them from building their webs on board again. If it is safe around children and pets, give it a try. I mean what do you have to loose but the spiders? :noidea:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
You can try using the bug barrier, it's like most insecticides that have a re-entry time frame. Basically once it's dried it won't transfer to your skin.I use it around outside of my house, boats and garage. Says can be used indoors too. Seems to keep numbers down but it's not perfect.

127366_front500.jpg

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
same as above except I use this stuff-- It DOES work! Our houseboat has tons of spider hideouts, especially under the bow, and of course all the docking lines. First time I used it we went from about 10000 spiders to one or two within a day. Ropes stay clear of webs for weeks. Like Watermann says, not perfect, but it does keep the spiders WAYYYY down for a few weeks at a time. And a gallon will spray our whole boat about 10 times, cheap...

bugspray.jpg

airshot

Rear Admiral
I'll second the home defense....great stuff and lasts for a long time. Here is one we used for many years... left the fuel cap loose so vapors would get trapped inside the boat cover, spiders can't stand the fuel smell. By just keeping the cap loose will have enough vapor to keep bugs out but not create a bomb.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Here is one we used for many years... left the fuel cap loose so vapors would get trapped inside the boat cover, spiders can't stand the fuel smell. By just keeping the cap loose will have enough vapor to keep bugs out but not create a bomb.
Does not sound like a good idea.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you could simply use drier sheets like I do. however here is a natural spray

Recipe for All Natural Spider-Stay-Away-Spray
You will need…
-5 to 7 drops of peppermint, tea tree, citrus, lavender, or neem essential oil
-a reusable spray bottle
-liquid dish soap
-warm water
-a dash of white vinegar* (optional)
Directions
Put 5-7 drops of peppermint oil in a spray bottle (about 16 ounces is good), and fill mostly to the top with warm water. Add a squirt of dish soap, place the top on, and give the mixture a good shake. Before using, use the hose attachment of your vacuum to suck up any egg sacs or old webs. Test on an inconspicuous area, and then spray in the corners of window frames, along door cracks, or in dark dingy places spiders may be hiding out. You can also add a dash of white vinegar to the mixture, but keep in mind this could affect some fabrics and surfaces.

DO NOT undo your fuel cap.

Last edited:

GaryO

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for all the advice! The Home Defense spray sounds pretty good along with the home made spray formula. I have heard in the past about putting Bounce dryer sheets in there also. Looks like a trip to Home Depot is in order for some spray!

Thanks again for the help. By the way, there is NO WAY that I'd leave the gas cap open. Would not be a good idea. (My fuel caps are external anyway) With 10% Eth. fuel it would be a real mess in the tanks