Lead Ballast

ajsja1

Cadet
Found this on a rocky gravely shore in Beverly. First saw it years ago but only the fiberglass part was showing. This years storms exposed it enough to recover it. The fiberglass was attached to the lead with large copper nut/bolts. I'm very curious of its history but know nothing about it. Anyone have a clue of it possible origin?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
What is it?.... A good chunk of change worth of scrap lead and a bit of copper too....

and yeah likely keel weight ....

Last edited by a moderator:

southkogs

Staff member
I can't quite see from the angle, but do a web search for a "shoal keel" for a sailboat. Might be one o' them.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
From just the picture, that had to weigh a ton... How were you able to move it. If that is solid lead, I know how heavy it would be...

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Thank you Frank - I made an adjustment to the post, and thought I'd kinda' clean up all of it. Nothing wrong with your post. - Kogs.

Last edited by a moderator:

ajsja1

Cadet
No Title

Yes looks more like a ballast from a shoal keel than anything else so far. Was a job recovering it. Police showed and after some discussion we were under pressure to get it done because of the safety factor. Of course we drew a crowd. Seems like everyone said they thought about recovering it themselves. LOL!!! Had to use a 8k lb comealong to drag a couple hundred feet over rocks to trailer while buddy was guiding and lifting with 4x6 and jacks. Used rollers to help winch on trailer. Had a lot of trouble pulling loaded trailer in the sand to get off beach area. Vehicle access to beach was a steep 5 foot cement block at a 30 degree angle - Not a access ramp! Lead weighed almost a ton. I had my doubts about getting trailer off beach with cargo if I didn?t get off on first shot. Got about a 75 foot run in sand with petal to the metal. Started sinking in the sand and just about stopped when the front wheels caught block. She spun and smoked but inched up for a long 30 second before the back wheels bit and muscled the trailer off the beach. I sure did appreciate the law keeping the ramp clear and giving me a chance before calling a tow truck.

Attachments

• photo219196.jpg
    photo219196.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo219197.jpg
    photo219197.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo219198.jpg
    photo219198.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo219199.jpg
    photo219199.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo219200.jpg
    photo219200.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 0

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
My jeep has a 12,000 lb winch on the front.... Woulda made that process go a WHOLE lot easier!