Lost ignition keys

bigdealsam

Seaman Apprentice
Over the winter someone stole my batteries and stole my ignition keys for my 1994 Sea Ray 330 Sundancer . Replacing the batteries is expensive but easy. How do I replace the ignition keys? Mercury5.7 I/O Advice is much appreciated.

alldodge

Staff member
Over the winter someone stole my batteries and stole my ignition keys for my 1994 Sea Ray 330 Sundancer . Replacing the batteries is expensive but easy. How do I replace the ignition keys? Mercury5.7 I/O Advice is much appreciated.

Either take the boat to a dealer or get the numbers off the ignition switch. There are only about 8 or 10 keys, the dealer should have one

Otherwise go buy another switch and replace

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I say the ONLY option is to buy new switches... Otherwise the thief will have the keys to your boat.... Of course if you are in the habbit of leaving the keys in the boat I guess it doesn't much matter.

thumpar

Admiral
I lost the key to my old boat because I left it on the bow when towing. :facepalm: NAPA had a replacement ignition switch at the local store and they are not expensive.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If you can get new keys with the switch number, that is the way to go. ignition keys on a boat are not much of a deterrent to theft. Normally the back of the ign switch is open to the thief, so 1 clip lead and a piece of wire to jumper the starter, and the motor starts. You can also hot wire the motor at the motor, maybe easier.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
ask anyone in your marina with a Searay or similar to try their keys in your boat.you will be surprised when some of them work.Been there....done that Charlie

bigdealsam

Seaman Apprentice
Local Sea Ray dealer was of no help. VERY disappointed with their response or lack thereof. However, an unaffiliated boat dealer in the area gave me a pocket full of keys and I easily found two that worked perfectly. Much appreciated.

MRS

Commander
I lost the key to my old boat because I left it on the bow when towing. :facepalm: NAPA had a replacement ignition switch at the local store and they are not expensive.

Yup NAPA when I bought my last boat no key to try things out. So went to Napa and got new switch and key for twenty some bucks.

jkust

Rear Admiral
When I bought my Sig Boat (a Chaparral), I went to the only local marina around me which is a Sea Ray dealer to get some extra ignition keys and glove box keys cut. To my surprise, as mentioned above there were like 10 total keys that are precut that fit my Chaparral but were Sea Ray inscribed keys. I also hide an extra key on the boat just in case something unexpected happens.