Pontoon corrosion lines at water level

Tomcat577

Cadet
My new 2014 Manitou pontoon boat was used 3 times Summer of 2014. After sitting on blocks over winter I wanted to clean the pontoons before putting in the lake. There was a lot of brown algae, white stains, black stains, white lines and black lines on the pontoons. I cleaned with diluted dish washing liquid as advised by dealer service. Surface stuff came off. Pressure washed as advised and more algae came off. I complained to the dealer they still look like 20 year old pontoons. The dealer acid washed and pressure washed. The pontoons are almost clean now. However, you can see deeply etched continuous lines back to front at waterline. The boat was rarely used because the battery was dead every time we tried to take a ride. The serviceman checked it out. He said the radio or an electrical short could be causing the battery to discharge. When the dealer returned the boat after cleaning I complained about the white corrosion lines. He said it could be stray current corrosion. I told him I want it checked out and fixed because the serviceman had previously said the problem may be a short in something, maybe the radio. The dealer said no way to know what is causing the problem, in time it (radio, etc) will stop working and we'll know the cause. I think I know what's going on, but would value your comments. Your comments are appreciated.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Got any pictures, also, what type of water is it in? Salt or Fresh?

oldjeep

Admiral
My folks pontoon sits in the water for 6 months a year and has discoloration line that doesn't come off when you pressure wash it. Figure it is just the impact of leaving it sitting in the water so long. I'd say at a minimum you should have cleaned it off when you pulled it out, why leave all the lake scuzz on there over the winter?

Tomcat577

Cadet
I tried to upload two pictures of the pontoons, but got an error that my file exceeds the 20,000 byte limit. Is there any way to reduce the byte count of a picture so I can upload to iboats?

Tomcat577

Cadet
No Title

Another photo - These are not scratches. The boat has only been in deep water. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• photo218883.jpg
    photo218883.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 0

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
That actually looks pretty normal for a boat that sits in the water, you are seeing build up of the minerals in the water, If I leave my aluminum boat in the water for a couple of days around here, I will start to get the same type of build up.

oldjeep

Admiral
Also looks normal to me. You leave a pontoon in the water and you get water lines, especially if you let the stuff sit on there and etch itself in for 6 months. Can't say that I've ever tried to polish a pontoon to get rid of them. We just use a pressure washer with a turbo tip on it to scrub off the surface growth and lake scum in the fall before it gets put away.

oldjeep

Admiral
As for your other issue, anyone with a multimeter should be able to find the drain. At a minimum I soul put in a battery shut off switch so that the battery can't drain.

jetboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Agree that what you're seeing is normal---I leave my pontoon in the water 7 months a year and the same thing happens (I've had 3 different brands over the past 18 years (Premier, Sanpan, and Harris) and they all did that.

You do want to pressure wash the growth off in the fall when you take it out if at all possible rather than leave in on all winter.

And the battery cutoff switch is a great idea--I use one on mine and never worry about the battery being dead when I want to use it next time

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
As others have stated, a battery switch is just smart business, there is almost nothing that I own, that I don't have a battery switch on, including my trucks Living in the environment that I do, it pays to switch the batteries off when I am not using the vehicles.

Tomcat577

Cadet
Thanks everyone for your comments. I installed a battery cutoff. What puzzles me is the white lines are thin, each line runs continuously back to front, there are many individual lines parallel to each other, they start at water line and the band of lines is 9 inches wide. See pictures above. Most importantly...do you have any tips on how to remove them?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I bead blasted with walnut media on my aluminum fishing boat to remove them, then I painted the hull with a good quality clear coat, but on a toon, that would be an expensive job.

UncleWillie

Captain
Unless you are connected to shore power, The lines on the pontoons have nothing to do with an electrical problem.