Checking out a '95 Sea Ray 180

sandman24

Cadet
Hey all - new member and first time posting here.

I'm searching for my first boat! Looking for something in the 5-8k range, open bow, and capable of hauling multiple passengers and a wakeboarder comfortably.

I ran across a 1995 Sea Ray 180 on Craigslist. It has a Mercury Engine 5.0l that was replaced 6 years ago. Wakeboard tower, lamps, speakers, etc.

One thing I don't care for is it has NO windshield. I've searched eBay and found one that was $700! Does that seem about right?

Any other concerns or common issues with these boats? Anyone ever owned one?

http://i.imgur.com/NEnlxRK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UqyYwfS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VTzmpqA.jpg

cptrick3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Welcome to the world of boating. Unfortunately that seems about right for a new windshield. In fact I would think it would be more. Is there a boating bone yard within 100 miles?

jkust

Rear Admiral
You would be surprised how much a pain it is even to replace the center window on an open bow assuming you can even locate one. My sig boat, which is an 18 footer as well, is in the shop right now getting a new windshield system installed because of a massive storm that came though and toppled over my boat lift with the boat on it and slightly bent the side windows. The bill is over $7,000 for a new custom made/one off windshield from the OEM including the difficult reinstallation process since they are glassed into place not just bolted down. Only two shops in the state were capable of the fix. I would not be interested in a boat missing the windshield as I presume it is missing and not replaced for a good reason.

sandman24

Cadet
Woah 7k!?? Is that being covered by insurance?

I'm not sure why it was even taken off but it just doesn't look right without it! May have to pass on this one :( So far all of the criteria was met besides that!

Tnstratofam

Commander
I second jkusts comment. I would steer clear of a windshield less boat. Even if you find one from the same make and model there is no guarantee it will line up to your hull without major modifications. Even two boats built on the same day may have enough hull differences that their windshields won't easily swap. Good luck on your search and :welcome:.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Woah 7k!?? Is that being covered by insurance?

I'm not sure why it was even taken off but it just doesn't look right without it! May have to pass on this one :( So far all of the criteria was met besides that!

Yes insurance. The oem as, was explained to me, has to stop the presses, retool to create a windshield that stopped being made in 2007 then the fiberglass guys have to remove the old one and undertake the apparently complex process of refitting and reglassing the new one. I actually need to pick it up since it is done...I'm afraid of how it will look and how all the covers will fit on it.

oldjeep

Admiral
That boat doesn't look like it has been loved, what is with all the dirt in the engine compartment?

Bondo

Staff member
That boat doesn't look like it has been loved, what is with all the dirt in the engine compartment?

Ayuh,... Agreed,... Keep lookin' for another boat,....

My guess is, that motor mighta been sunk,...