Safety Equipment~is a fire extingusher required in my case or not?

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Other than young kids, I rarely see anyone wearing their life jacket.

I have an auto inflate that doesn't come off,....

And a regular vest strapped to the ditch bag in a worse case situation,.....

oldjeep

Admiral
I have an auto inflate that doesn't come off,....

And a regular vest strapped to the ditch bag in a worse case situation,.....

You see that with a lot of fishermen, and to be honest if I were wearing long pants and a winter jacket in a small boat then I would too since there is pretty much no way you can swim in that stuff.

FrizFreleng

Seaman
Jump in the lake? panic? Not always sage advice. Would not be my first reaction. Regardless of what the nanny state says/demands, use your head man. The fire department does not respond to off shore fires. For $20 you can buy ample protection for most fires. If a fire gets out of hand, then listen to ssobol's advice and go jump in the lake!

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
It seems obvious that folks don't have to have one per USCG regulation. However, for such a small amount of money, why not? If it saves even one person it would be the best money you ever spend. And each state can demand such a requirement. Safety has to be number 1.

NYBo

Admiral
My boat is required to have one. Therefore, I have two. ;)

shrew

Lieutenant
I always thought that if you had a gas motor you had to have one. But this is a quote of what they say.

At least one B-1 type Coast Guard-approved hand portable fire extinguisher. Not required on outboard motorboats less than 26 feet long and not carrying passengers for hire if the construction of such motorboats will not permit the entrapment of explosive or flammable gases or vapors, and if fuel tanks are not permanently installed.

My boat is a 14' aluminum boat with a 10 HP outboard and portable gas tank.

Do I have to get an extinguisher or not.

What state is the boat registered in?

Do you have a sole (floor) installed with bilge space beneath it?