Question about Transom Mount Transducer Placement

JoLin

Vice Admiral
It's the boat in my sig. Twin I/O's, with trim tabs mounted at the outer sides of the transom. So, I plan to place the transducer between one of the outdrives and the trim tab on the same side. Question is about positioning if anyone knows...

1. Equidistant between the outdrive and tab?
2. Closer to the outdrive?
3. Closer to the trim tab?

If nobody has any experience with this I'll probably mount it halfway between the two, but it occurred to me that the tab may cause less turbulence than the outdrive, so maybe it should be closer to the tab? I'm probably overthinking the whole thing, but what the heck :)

alldodge

Staff member
It's the boat in my sig. Twin I/O's, with trim tabs mounted at the outer sides of the transom. So, I plan to place the transducer between one of the outdrives and the trim tab on the same side. Question is about positioning if anyone knows...

1. Equidistant between the outdrive and tab?
2. Closer to the outdrive?
3. Closer to the trim tab?

If nobody has any experience with this I'll probably mount it halfway between the two, but it occurred to me that the tab may cause less turbulence than the outdrive, so maybe it should be closer to the tab? I'm probably overthinking the whole thing, but what the heck :)

Needs to be in clean water and between the drive a tab, closer to tab then drive. Can not be in line with a thru hull fitting. Needs to be a clean water stream

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The transducer goes between the drives on a twin powered boat. Generally, it must be located slightly off the center line to not block access to any drain plug.

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
The transducer goes between the drives on a twin powered boat. Generally, it must be located slightly off the center line to not block access to any drain plug.

Sorry, but can you supply a source? Honestly, I've never heard that before.and it seems there'd be tremendous turbulence in that area.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Oops- you are correct. I just googled it (should've done that first), and it appears that between the drives is appropriate in most cases. I never would have guessed it. However, I do have thru-hulls directly on both sides of the keel, so I'll need to look again to see if I'll get 'clean' water in that area. I know that if I move it farther outboard as I first planned, it won't be in line with any other thru-hulls.

Thanks!

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Sorry, but can you supply a source? Honestly, I've never heard that before.and it seems there'd be tremendous turbulence in that area.

Think about it.....how can you have a tremendous amount of turbulence in front of the props and not expect the them to suffer from cavitation?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Just wrapping this up. I found a mounting location in the 'ideal' spot, between the drives a couple inches to starboard of the transom drain plug. The thru-hulls on that side sit farther out from the keel than I thought, so I should have clean water running to the transducer. The 'ducer is mounted and cabled through the transom. Now I just have to figure out how to get the cable and plug up to the bridge, but it may have to wait until the shrinkwrap comes off. No room to maneuver up there right now.

Thanks for the advice!