Anyone know anything about....Stevens boats?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have a really nice opportunity on a Stevens Boat with a 90 Horse Mercury hanging on it, looks to be in pretty good shape, but I am not familiar with this brand of boat, I can get the boat, motor and trailer for less than a grand, which normally is less that what you would pay for the Motor with controls. Just thought I would ask before I go and look at it.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard MT ... the thing about used boats is CONDITION, CONDITION, CONDITION. There's a really helpful topic over ... :D

Sorry man - it's like a conditioned response now. Don't known Stevens well at all except the couple I've seen on the lake. Usually from the stern, pulling away smartly.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
MT what does Stevens say about his boat's condition? :facepalm:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Well MT around here that old motor ain't worth much.. I have two 1150's. bought one w a rotten boat, CMC power trim unit and a trailer for $140 and the second is power trim and I gave $50 for it. Both ran but had issues so obviously that hurt em. I'd value that motor at $250-$350 if it is ready to use. Trailer $350-$500 max....
If the boat is solid you might have something but if it's rotten I'd offer no more than about $300 so if the motor ended up having issues I wouldn't lose.

That isn't a power trim motor btw...... Hopefully the big aluminum plate on the Trans is only because it's a long engine on a short transom and not because of rot.

Obviously your location may change values.

Looking at the interior I'd say it's been at least 8 years since anyone gave a crap about it.

Personally I'd pass it by but then I have no use for any of it.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Trailers are expensive around here, last year I sold a trailer that I had on an old Glasspar lido, that was 14 foot, with no work at all, I cut the boat up with a saw, threw it away and got close to a grand for the trailer and it didn't have a title with it. For what the guy is offering to sell me everything for, all I would have to do is sell the trailer and I would be ahead of the money.

southkogs

Staff member
Southkogs, There is a name for guys like you!
... yeah, I hear the Admiral mutter it from time to time ;)

Sounds like it's a reasonable risk anyway. If that hull is salvageable, it's a cool lookin' boat.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
No Title

Ad from 1965. Sharp looking boat! I'd say it's worth salvaging. Kinda like finding an old Camaro or Mustang in the weeds...

Attachments

• photo218876.jpg
    photo218876.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well unfortunately, I have not heard back from him again, I imagine, he probably sold it as he is moving on Monday and wanted it gone as fast as possible