anyone with experience melting or gluing closed cell foam?

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, last year I decided to use some closed cell pipe insulation foam and wrap the piping on my wake tower for several reasons. I used foam that had the adhesive on it from the factory. That adhesive did not stand up to moisture very well and the edges are coming apart (exposing the seam again). I am looking for information on what people have used to successfully glue closed cell foam, or ideas on how to keep the foam on the tower. I do not want to use tape or anything like that. I did consider velcro straps, but would prefer to find a way to seal the seam on the foam.

Thanks

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class
any particular brands? i read that 3m 77, barge cement (yellow packaging), or dap contact cement may work, but i was hoping to find someone who did the same thing and has experience with it

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Foam pipe insulation is polyethylene. Hard to "glue". You pretty much have to melt it to the surface. Not good if you need to remove it sometime in the future.

I would use double sided tape instead.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I know what you are talking about but have never tried gluing it. But what about using "Gorilla Glue"? Gorilla glue is moisture cured and once cured is some really good glue. And I honestly think it would glue that foam as well...

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Sew up some vinyl or sunbrella covers, 'n velcro 'em on,.... it'd look better,....

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Weldwood contact cement in the red can. Its what whitewater boaters use to glue minicell foam outfitting in their polyethylene kayaks.

tednv

Seaman
use this for anything that's remotely pliable, rubber, foam, flexible plastic, polyurethane, etc

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81850...her+strip+glue

it's a million times better than rubber cement, just make sure you wipe down surface with alcohol first and this stuff will stick better than any other adhesive you'll ever find

I've been using it for years for anything but weather stripping, although it does work really well for that as well. if you ever have a shoe that has a section of the sole coming undone, works great for that too

if you want to make it even more durable, cut small channels between the two surfaces so this stuff can seep in and make a larger bond surface, it's so strong whatever it is you're gluing will probably rip first. also use some blue painters tape or put something on top to keep the two pieces together while it sets, doesn't take too long but I'd give it a few hours

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hit up the web fore roll bar covers. Same thought as Bondo, however buying vs making