1999 bayliner capri 1750 mystery boxes

tednv

Seaman
so there are these carpeted boxes underneath the rear seats that appear to have no purpose and are using up about a 1'x2'x1' area on each side. The older model did not have these boxes and actually used the space to hold batteries or whatever else you want to put under there. The seat bottoms don't actually rest on top of the box, they rest on the wooden frame under the engine cover (which is removable and isn't attached to these boxes). on the other side, there's a separate wooden carpeted block that the seats rest on. I measured out the outside of the rear and these boxes are definitely not part of the motor well/transom shape. I could use them for an extra battery or storage compartment, just curious if anyone out there has knocked them out during a re-deck project or knows what's inside. They're above the deck so they shouldn't have any foam, and it would make no sense to have a hollow carpeted box on each side. this is not my boat bwt, just using it for reference

also taking bets/guesses on what you guys think may be inside, thinking of drilling a small hole and shoving a camera snake in there to take a peek

Attachments

• photo218720.jpg
    photo218720.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 0

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Being above deck in no way means they couldn't have foam... In fact the higher the foam is the better for keeping the boat upright if swamped.

tednv

Seaman
Being above deck in no way means they couldn't have foam... In fact the higher the foam is the better for keeping the boat upright if swamped.
you called it, FOAM!... looks like it's about a 2' long section that goes all the way back to the transom... what a bummer... i'm still thinking of ripping it out, i was hoping to install hydraulic or electric trim tabs and the spot where the cylinder hinge attaches is right where the stupid foam is. I've seen models that are slightly older with same size motor and boat length that do not have these foam boxes in the back. is there an alternative to ripping all the foam out? maybe cut out a channel for tubing/wires and then install a waterproof hatch over it?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Some years ago some agency decided that boats had to float upright if swamped; may have been the BIA (Boating Industry Association) that has a big say in boating safety. I have had boats with "upright flotation" and yes it is big boxes, the higher in the boat the better, that take up space and seem useless............till you need them. Your boat, your life, your decision.

Mark

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Easy... Drill the holes for the tabs.... Then use a long drill extension to drill all the way through the foam and out the front or top of the box and/or right angle drill to come down from the top... Once you have the pilot a hole saw will open it up if needed

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
OR there's the REALLY easy route... Bennett will give you different mounts for the cylinder that run the hydraulic lines straight up on the outside of the transom and you bring them through the hull above the boxes.

tednv

Seaman
thank you Kevin, i decided to go the easy route and run the line+wire up to the top of the transom where it's all clear