I got a new boat!

waterinthefuel

Commander
Ok, it's a new-to-me boat, but I never owned a large bass boat before. I was looking on Craigslist and they were asking 6500 dollars for a 20 year old boat with a 50 on it. And it was beat to hell with faded seats, etc. Well I found this little jewel, a 1990 Ranger 361v with a 1990 Mariner 150 Magnum2, all original, for 4500 bucks and the guy delivered it to me, backed it into my back yard for me!

The trailer needs more attention than the boat, with rusty rims. I've already sanded and painted all 5 (the spare is a full size spare) and will be working on the bearings and paint for the rest of the trailer next. The boat is all original, original carpet, engine, seats and covers, trolling motor, everything. It has a few electrical issues as a few of the pumps dont work when you activate the switch (just aerator pumps, not the bilge, it works fine) so it will require a little bit of work but nothing bad. What's funny is the original built in flasher in the front still works! But the one on the dash doesn't. More issues to diagnose!

It runs perfect and came just as you see here. It also came with the original fitted Ranger boat cover which is in immaculate condition. It was kept indoors under the cover all it's life. I can tell that because it's not real faded and there is no water line on the boat so it didn't see much water action.

It's rated for a 175, I hope the little 150 doesn't struggle to get it on top. What is not original is the lower unit. I asked what happened. He called the guy who owned the boat and he said the bearing went out and it seized up. I googled it, and come to find out it was an issue with that particular engine. But the guy had just put a 1900 dollar lower unit on the thing, so I get the engine with the new lower unit.

20150328_173046_zpsijh6hhdz.jpg

20150328_173059_zpstffc3sa6.jpg

20150328_173115_zpsp41hdxm6.jpg

Last edited:

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
Good looking rig. And good price too!!!

Lets see some before and after pics of those rims.....

waterinthefuel

Commander
Here is the before. I didn't take a picture of the after because it was pouring down rain and I just hurried and put them back on the trailer. I'll try to take one soon though. I have no ability to re-chrome them so I just painted them best I could.

The tires are in great shape.

20150411_082458_zpssxljby1r.jpg

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like you got a nice deal. Some times there are great deals, but watching these threads and reading about so many others that get taken, it is few and far between... I'd do a totally and complete look over at everything. Transom, flooring, electrical, trim pumps and everything in between. If those things are solid, you got a great deal for sure... It look nice, that's for sure... :thumb:

waterinthefuel

Commander
Yes I know what you mean. I looked at the boat for 2 hours before making a decision. I knew everything that was wrong with it when I made the decision to buy it. The beauty of this year Ranger was that this boat is all fiberglass, no wood, so no worries about a rotten floor or transom. Electrical issues are easy to fix, but made harder without a wiring diagram for the boat. But anything is traceable with long leads and a good Ohm meter.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yeah should be pretty good with the ranger and a 150 will be plenty and if this is your first big motor as well it will be very plenty.

waterinthefuel

Commander
Thanks for the kind words. Here is the promised photo of the after of one of the wheels. The oil you see dripping down the wheel is from the lug nuts threads. I don't know why people are scared to oil the lug nuts. It doesn't mean they'll come off going down the road, it means they'll come off when you want them to. I had to use an impact wrench on all of them. They were so growed on there.

20150414_174109_zpsxcyivugs.jpg

Here are photos of the carpet.

20150414_174309_zps0sqv9vco.jpg

20150414_174330_zpsc5rixsg4.jpg

Last edited:

waterinthefuel

Commander
I just got a chance to pull it out of the garage and check the compression. What is it supposed to be? We got 120psi on all cylinders.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
One of the original Hot Rod Bass boats. I'd say you did well.
Not a Merc guy but because of differences in gages and how they read if all cylinders are within 10% I'd say your good to go. All even is even better!

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
i believe 120 is normal for a v6 - that is a sweet boat! - i bet it will do around 50 mph