Where to put fuel/water separator

sublauxation

Lieutenant
I'm in the planning stages of re-redoing my 18ft Aluminum Sylvan. My goal is to get more room freed up for storage. My fuel/water separator is currently under the back deck but it's a pain to get at and anything to spills when changing the filter is hard to clean up.

Would I be making a mistake by putting the fuel/water separator in the splashwell? There's plenty of extra wasted space there. I know it would get rained on and all that stuff but that's true of most aluminum rowboat style boats where the tank, lines and everything are always exposed and I've never had problems with those inthe past.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
If you ever changed it on the water any fuel that spilled would run right into the water... That's not good.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
I hear you there but the boat is almost 100% trailered so it's unlikely for that to ever be an issue, especially since I haven't exactly been known to keep a spare filter on hand!

Either way now it would end up in the bilge which has to be emptied before leaving the ramp so it would take almost equal effort to trap it where it's currently at.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I hear ya... Personally I dislike clutter in the splash well but I've seen several boats with it there... Should work ok.

robert graham

Admiral
Mine's just bolted on the inside of the transom/splashwell....I use an old cake pan or hubcap to catch any fuel spilled while changing cartridge....if you're worried about it being out in the rain/elements/corrosion, buy the stainless steel model...like they use for saltwater service...

frustratedboater

Chief Petty Officer
Not sure if you have wood to screw into, but you could mount it in the open space. Water splashing and the rains will not effect anything. Nothing will get past the seal on the filter if tightened 1-1/2 turns...

I have seen people run a 2 x 12 with blocks underneath across the back and use that to secure the battery, gas tank, and separator. Also, if possible, turn your back seat into he storage area and rebuild the seat. Good luck..

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... For the spilt fuel issue,....

Stuff a quart size freezer baggie into the box yer spare filter is stored in,.....

Then crack loose the old one, slip the baggie 'round it, spin it off, droppin' into the baggie,...

Seal it up, 'n flip it over to see how much water, 'n crud's in it,....

JoLin

Vice Admiral
What Bondo said. The separator on my 16' Sylvan is mounted in the port-side corner of the splashwell. A P.O. did it and it works fine. No reason you should spill any fuel