16' aluminum vs 20mph wind. ..

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
Took my 16' aluminun boat out this weekend. The wind for being in North Dakota really wasn't that bad, I'm new to boating but it seemed to be a pain to try trolling in the wind! It seemed the front of my boat was way to light and the wind kept blowing my front off course and back to shOre. I have a 25hp motor, 50lbs tolling motor, me (170lbs) deep cycle battery and gas tank all in the back, should I buy some sand bags to throw up front if I'm fishing by myself To help level out some weight?

Suggestions?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
You could try it... Might help some by lowering the boat in the water a bit
But a 20 mph wind would blow anything around... Heck that would make low speed operation of my 10,000 lb cruiser a PITA

It's not so much a matter of weight as it's a matter of freeboard (area above the water) and lack of friction (resistance to movement) of an object floating in water.

A bow mounted trolling motor would do better upwind and a drift sock would help downwind.

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah ....it sucks living in ND.... checked the 10 day forecast windy at least 5 days.....But it only is spring... lots of warm days + cold days seem to screw with the wind speed ... or something like that.... lol

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW with 20 mph head wind, I'm surprised you could keep it in the water. I have never trolled in that much wind, but I do know about trolling into wind. It makes for a stressful day trying to keep headway straight. With 20mph wind there would be whitecaps all over the place. But I do have to ask, did you catch anything? That is the really important question!

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
Haha no I wanted to just get it out and do a demo run of everything... good thing to sonar didn't work...and some other kinks I need to iron out lol

frustratedboater

Chief Petty Officer
You could always put me in the bow to off set the weight...? Heck, I could even bring my tackle box and pole to add more! :D

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Even trolling with a bow mount can be difficult at best in a heavy wind. Then change that to motor trolling and it can become near impossible. Especially if there are stronger gusts or the wind keeps changing direction.. That's why I usually try a controlled drift going with the wind.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
"16' aluminum vs 20mph wind"

Well I can tell you this, the 20mph wind is going to win the battle 99% of the time!

:D

airshot

Rear Admiral
One of the down falls of light weight boats is wind. 20 mph will move most any boat, your best bet is to drift with the wind, even a bow mount won't help unless you are headed directly into the wind. If you are trolling at an angle to the wind, a lot of guys used to backtroll, face the transom at an angle and go in reverse but be carefull on water coming over the transom. This is just a suggestion....use your own judgment!!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
The trick to keeping a canoe on course on windy days is to sit up front. The same applies with your boat when solo.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
Are you motor trolling or position fishing using the trolling motor?

When i am position fishing using the trolling motor, I use the wind to my advantage by motoring up wind and letting the wind provide the thrust and only using the trolling motor to adjust direction. If you're moving too fast, you could use a drift sock. Or tie a rope around the handle of a 5 gallon bucket with a 2" hole cut in the bottom and use that a drift sock.

Jeep Man

Commander
Anytime I'm trolling alone with a tiller motor I always add weight to the front, wind or no wind. That being said, trolling into a 20 mph wind is difficult period.

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
Took it out again yesterday,..... 8 mph winds... very normal day for north dakota.... holy god i couldnt keep the dam boat straight to save my life. Lucky enough my brand new trolling motor took a crap yesterday (sounds like gears are grinding in the motor part lost all propellar action and it just vibrates like crazy) Im returning it and buying a bow mount 24v from a buddy for $100 and sitting up front and try trolling ... hopefully that helps.... if not i might be selling and looking for a full size boat .....

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's a 16' 1976 Crestliner, I think it's a mod v? It's pointy up front but somewhat flat in back

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Sorry, I didn't notice. I had the same thing in a 14'. They're tough to control unless you have someone in a bow. Maybe back trolling would help some. Yeah, it's a semi v. Not real smooth in rough water.... But, I had one for many years. It is a light hull. A 16' hull with a floor w/wo a sc would be heavier and easier to control. But, you can make your hull work. Bow mount should work much better....

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks... I'm buying a bow mount soon after I get refunded for the faulty minnkota.... note to self just cut amazon is $100 cheaper.... it's proably a refurbished on or something.... I was so mad yesterday..... :mad: lol

64osby

Admiral
You will need to build a plate / platform to mount the bow mount unit to. Should not be too hard but might take a little time.