How not to buy a prop

tkessell

Recruit
We all know the only way to get the right prop is by putting it in the water to test it. When I went to Iboats and purchased the Solas HP i was asked for only yr. motor and HP(this is not complete because you need boat length and weight). My old prop was a 25" pitch 13.75 dia. They said the 14 X 25 Solas would work and it wouldn't get the boat on plane. I went back to them and they said it should be a 19" pitch so either way I would get the wrong prop. Now they won't refund my money because the prop touched the water. I received I'm sorry and that is sad, now you know and I hope it steers you to the right place to shop.

Last edited by a moderator:

toneeees

Administrator
Sorry to hear about your experience. I have notified our Customer Service team and they will be with you shortly.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
They state clearly in their online catalog that once you use it you can't return it. However on the advice, if you talked to a real person and didn't just shop the catalogs, they are probably just reading numbers in a manual. What is so physically different about your old prop as compared to the new one that won't even plane your boat? You seem to be talking about a drastic difference between 2 props of approximately the same dimensions in that one you have been using and were apparently satisfied with it and the other won't even plane your boat? Gimme a break. Something doesn't make sense.

While we're at it, what engine are you using a 25 P prop on that fits the small gear box, a HP Merc V6?

tkessell

Recruit
The differance is the hub, the trophy plus is half through enhaust and half over. The Solas is full hub and all exhaust through hub and the 1/4 " makes a big differance comming out of the hole. A Mercury mechanic looked at it, should start at 26" pitch on a 225 hp efi and told me the problem(old prop was wrong on engine when I purchased) This is about talking to them before I puchased the prop and not recommending any other pitches until I complained. I told them what prop I had on boat

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Still do not know exactly what motor it is, what year and what boat it is on. Much easier to figure out what you should have with that info.

Guessing it's a Merc motor, @ 225HP ??????

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Well if you didn't TELL them the prop was wrong then of course they would suggest a comparable prop...

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Or maybe put on something he had in stock. I bought a new boat in '89 from a reputable dealer in Dallas and he put a prop on my engine that turned out to be 2" too high in pitch. Looking at his assortment floor units understood why.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I too fell prey to the evil prop mongers... I bought the same diameter and pitch prop as came with my motor that worked great... how diabolical of them not to tell me the new prop was cupped and the old one wasn't so I needed to drop pitch... :rolleyes: So I got a new prop with the correct pitch after reading the prop FAQ and hit the lake.

I've purchased 5 props from iboats over the years starting in 2002 and you have to do the research. It's the same as throwing electrical parts at a motor trying to fix it, NOBODY will take them back after being installed and everyone knows it.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
How to buy a prop...Did you go into the prop forum's and post the below?

Read This First!! December 22nd, 2008, 10:11 AM

ESSENTIAL DATA REQUIRED
When posting a question about propellers, you cannot get a reasonable answer unless you provide the following information in your post: Items 1-4 are essential for meaningful response to most questions.
1) Performance issue you are trying to correct.
2) Current prop manufacturer, model, aluminum or stainless as a minimum.
3) Current prop diameter and pitch (required).
4) Wide open throttle RPM and speed with an average load (very helpful)
5) Engine/drive make, model, year, and HP
6) Boat make model, year, length and weight