New Anchor and Bow Roller

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Mischief Managed;n10188180Yours is not attached to the shank of your anchor and can't have the issue mine has. That said said:
Agreed. - Grandad

tpenfield

Staff member
Thanks for the heads up on the anchor swivel. I will see if I have any trouble with it. Mine too will be attached to the shank of the anchor . . . 33 lb claw.

tpenfield

Staff member
Well . . . the SeaDog swivel was a bust . . . the thing siezed up almost immediately after giving it a few turns. I actually put a 2 foot breaker bar on it and could not get it to turn. Something must be very wrong with the design. Initially, it was a little bit tricky to spin, but the more I tried to spin/swivel it, the tighter it got. I think I put 150 ft-lbs of torque on it and it won't swivel at all. Totally locked.

Since the boat is going in tomorrow, I'll be off to the marine store to figure something out. My old swivel is still in good shape, but it is a bit small to fit directly to the anchor, and I was hoping to get rid of a few shackles in the setup, as there is not much space.= to work with :(

tpenfield

Staff member
Better news . . . I managed to free up the anchor swivel by going at it with the breaker bar a bit more. Then I worked some grease into the pivot pin and that made a difference.

this is the larger of the SeaDog Stainless Steel Swivels as it can go up to 3/8" chain, etc. I needed the large swivel as the anchor shank is 11/16" . . . almost 3/4" and the swivels with the 5/8" openings just weren't making it.

I heat shocked the swivel for a while with boiling and ice cold water, then I went after it again with the breaker bar, etc.

Here are a few pics and a video that I took while working the swivel into submission. :rolleyes:

Anchor with swivel in the workmate and using the breaker bar IMG_7679.jpg

Once I got the the swivel to move somewhat freely, I worked some grease into the pivot bolt area and then hooked up the drill to it using a piece of hose as a coupler. IMG_7681.jpg

Here is a quick video of working in the swivel . . .

I think it is going to be OK after all . . . but there was definitely something wrong with it from the get-go.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Finally . . .

The new anchor swivel put up a fight the whole way, but it is finally installed. To my liking, I did not have to use any shackles. . . . just a few tweaks and a bigger hammer.

Here is the swivel installed to the chain and the anchor . . . IMG_7683.jpg

The swivel turns freely and hopefully it will stay that way.

Here is the whole combo reeled in by the windlass. . . IMG_7685.jpg

As you can see there is not much wiggle room at the bow, so I wanted the installation to be as clean as possible. The old swivel and its extra shackles would be touching the gypsy when reeled in. This swivel now has some clearance.

Last edited: