replace front support straps on bimini top with poles

djxman

Recruit
I want poles instead of straps on the front of my bimini top. But was told you can only use straps. Anyone have poles on front and rear?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Eh you can if you want... Makes folding it down less convenient but otherwise it would be fine

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I would think you would want to keep straps on one end, so you can adjust tension, and keep the fabric taught.

I have a center console boat, and have poles in the front, straps in the rear.
I use the front poles to stow the bimini when it is closed, keeps it out of the way for moving around the boat and for fishing.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
I want poles instead of straps on the front of my bimini top. But was told you can only use straps. Anyone have poles on front and rear?

:welcome: to iboats

Need to see what your looking at
ThisThreadIsWorthlessWithoutPictures.jpg

airshot

Rear Admiral
As others have said, not poles on both ends....choose front or rear. When I had my smaller boat I had poles on the rear so when not in use the bimini gave the appearance of an arch going across the boat. In this way is was stored out of the way yet easy access when needed. Need those straps on one end to be able to adjust the top, however your choice as to which way would be most convenient.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
It's possible to rig a nice setup, but you'll need proper mounts with quick release pins, and semi or custom fitment of pole lengths. Best bet is to fit the connections to either other rails or deck at custom lengths that can be adjusted to make the bimini cover taunt, say with a turnbuckle type end. There are bimini poles with these types of pin/turnbuckle ends, but they can be really expensive.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
You could use a horizontal tube to tension between the front and rear bows as long as one of these bows (likely the rear) has a proper rigid support pole. The one in the picture below has the rear bow tube supported from the tower, but without a tower it could have been supported on poles from the deck. The horizontal tube is actually a 7/8" OD tube telescoped inside a 1" OD that can be snapped into place using spring loaded pins that I believe are called Valco pins. - Grandad

djxman

Recruit
Thanks for all the great ideas. I think I like the pole in front and straps in back idea. I will post pics when I finish it

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
If your objection to straps is that they flap in the breeze while running, try twisting them 4 or 5 times.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
My boat has poles both front and back of the forward bimini section. That's how I got it. There's a sliding fitting on one of the from sets of poles that allows adjustment. Front poles have spring loaded clevis pins. Works very well, easy, provides good support.