Livewell drain cap

Elisanchez

Recruit
Can some one tell me where to find a cap to keep the water from comming into my livewell. It is built into a 1992 tracker v16 and i dont plan to use the tank but i cant figure out how to close the inlet. In the tank it is a 1 inch threaded tube but i dont know what threads on.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Welcome to the forum Elisanchez.

The ones I'm familiar with have 3 hoses. 1 a fill from the pump, 1 an overflow drain and the last a drain on the bottom. With out seeing it it's hard to tell what you have.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Put a regular bilge type drain plug in the drain fitting at the bottom of the tank. I would imagine it's just feeding back into the tank from the bottom drain not the inlet which uses a pump.

Elisanchez

Recruit
Put a regular bilge type drain plug in the drain fitting at the bottom of the tank. I would imagine it's just feeding back into the tank from the bottom drain not the inlet which uses a pump.

Thats what i did yesterday and it worked great. Thanks guys

bobdec

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Already fixed, but for reference those threads on the drain are most likely for a livewell 'overflow drain tube' . Lets the well fill to length of the tube before draining.. That would give you 12 or so more inches of height before drain tube water would back flow into the livewell. As you don't use the well your fix is a better solution.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If you do not intend to use the livewell I suggest you install the plug in the drain at the stern of the boat. If the plumbing between that fitting and the livewell breaks, your boat sinks. If the transom fitting is sealed that can't happen (unless you leave the hull drain plug out of course).

Elisanchez

Recruit
Good point. I think im going to remove the fitting and weld a piece of aluminum over the hole. That livewell makes for a good cooler

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You are going way overboard with this. If you use the livewell as a cooler (assuming you add ice), with the drain welded shut, how do you expect to drain the water. And if you live in a cold climate, how do you prevent that drain line from freezing and rupturing due to water being trapped in that line. Install the drain plug at the stern and go boating. Yes -- you said you would remove the fitting at the stern but then the livewell water goes into the bilge.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I have the same livewell drain set up as you on my SeaNymph and removing the drain plugs is part of winterizing just in case. Don't get all worried about what if's, just about every fishing boat has below the waterline fittings including mine. Don't alter the boat by welding on it, someday you may want to sell it.

Besides "what if" accidentally the livewell pump got switched on and the nozzle wasn't off? Your sandwiches and chips would get all soggy. :lol:

Elisanchez

Recruit
I might just leave it. The fitting seems solid and it works great for draining. Its just so small i dont see much use for it. A 5 gallon bucket seems more practical